Do you want a quick and easy Christmas gift? But at the same time you want it to be special and homemade? Try my grandfather’s favorite candy—turtle candies, a savory combination of sweet & salty, chewy & crunchy. They have only 5 ingredients and take just 15 minutes to make! Wrap them up in a goodie bag tied with a bow… thoughtful gift completed.
Song choice: “All I Want For Christmas Are My Two Front Teeth” Perfect for this chewy treat!
Turtle Candy Recipe
Yields: 30 turtle candies
Time: 15 minutes
- 3 oz. pecan halves
- 30 individually wrapped caramels (one 11 oz. bag)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (milk or dark)
- Sea Salt
- Set up a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Place two pecans halves next to each other on the sheet. Repeat with remaining pecan halves.
- In a saucepan, add caramels and about 2 teaspoons of milk. Melt over medium heat, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Drop a spoonful of caramel over the pairs of pecans. Let cool.
- Once cooled, melt the chocolate with a tablespoon of shortening (optional, creates a smooth finish). Use either a double boiler or the microwave, stirring at 30-second intervals until smooth.
- Drop a spoonful of chocolate back on the parchment paper and place turtle on top. Drizzle with chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Allow to harden and enjoy!