25 Days of Baking: Day 3
As you well know, candy is seen everywhere during the holidays. Toffee happens to be one of my favorites. It doesn’t hurt that it is easy to make in large batches. I put a spin on this well-known candy treat and made them into dessert bars. Just throw them in a tin or a decorative bag with a bow and voila! You have just treated yourself to the perfect Christmas movie snack. Or you could gift them I suppose… in which case I would wrap them in a box with heavy-duty tape because these bars are seriously addictive. So share them with your friends, they will thank you and probably ask for the recipe.
Sing along to: “Carol of the Bells”
Toffee Bars Recipe
- 11 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup nuts (your choice), chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, baking powder, and salt until well blended. Gradually add flour.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla extract until blended. Scrape down the sides when needed. Lastly, add the egg and mix well.
- Spread mixture into a greased 13×9 baking pan. I found that a regular knife works better than a rubber spatula for spreading.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges are lightly browned and surface is dry.
- Immediately after taking the toffee out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly. Let stand for 5 minutes so they melt. Spread chocolate over bars. Sprinkle with nuts and let it stand until chocolate is set.
- Cut into squares and then in half into triangles. Store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Adapted from: Taste of Home