25 Days of Baking: Day 13
Thumbprint cookies always seem to find a way into your home at Christmas time. I was never a big fan of them when I was younger, but they have certainly grown on me. It is easy to make these cookies if you’re in a hurry because the ingredients are typically always around the house–butter, flour, sugar, etc. I am a huge fan of almond extract, but if you are not or don’t have it in the house, vanilla extract works just as well. Another plus? You can use any jam/jelly you prefer. With the addition of a simple glaze, these cookies are perfectly sweet.
12 days until Christmas!!! “12 Days of Christmas” by Straight No Chaser
Read: Technically the 12 days of Christmas start on Christmas and end on January 6th, but I love Straight No Chaser’s version so I am sharing it anyway!
Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies with Almond Icing Recipe
Yields: 36 cookies
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 -2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter, sugar, and almond extract in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually mix in flour until combined.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of dough; roll dough into 1- inch balls. Place dough balls 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Using your thumb, make an indention in the center of each cookie.
- Fill each indention with about 1/4 teaspoon of jam.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies are very lightly browned.
- Let cookies cool for a 5 minutes on the cookie sheet, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Combine confectioners’ sugar, almond extract, and a teaspoon of milk in small bowl. Whisk together the ingredients. Add extra milk when needed to reach desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over the cookies and enjoy!