I still get excited when other bloggers nominate me for awards! It is nice to know that there are people following along and appreciating the time and effort I put into my blog. Sylvia at Superfoodista was kind enough to think of me when she was nominating bloggers for the Liebster Award.
What is the Liebster Award, you ask? I had to do some research to find out. “Liebster” is a German word meaning beloved. Bloggers give this award to appreciate the work of other bloggers who are often new or up and coming. It requires the nominee to share unknown facts about themselves, which I think is perfect for new bloggers.
Thank you again, Sylvia! You all should check out her blog, she has exquisite photos and healthy, delicious recipes.
The rules are as follows…
- Answer 10 questions given to you by the blogger from which you were nominated.
- Share 10 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 3-11 up and coming bloggers with fewer than 200 followers.
- Generate 10 questions to be answered by those we nominate.
- Contact your nominees to let them know the news.
- What is the meaning behind your blog name and where did it come from? I have received a lot of compliments/comments on my blog name. It originates from one of my favorite childhood books If You Give A Mouse A Cookie. If you give a blonde (me) a kitchen, I will want to bake a cake or some other culinary concoction. Like the mouse, the list is endless, but it all circles back to what I love—baking in the kitchen.
- What is your first memory? Being at my grandmother’s house and having a tea party with her; of course, I would drink hot chocolate with marshmallows.
- Dogs or cats? Dogs because they are energetic and friendly. I like cats too, but typically only outdoor cats because they act more like dogs.
- Favorite meal? Always a toughie and I’m sure this will change, but either cedar plank salmon with quinoa and roasted asparagus or cheese tortellini with my mom’s homemade pesto.
- Favorite thing to do to relax? And, ahem, keep it clean, people… I like going for a run and then plunge into the ocean for a refreshing swim.
- Pet peeve? Bad grammar.
- House to yourself, what do you do? Time to bake and sing into my microphone spoon! The playlist consists mostly of Motown interspersed with hits such as Love On Top by Beyonce and musical numbers like Dancing Queen.
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Definitely flying. Who said the sky’s the limit?
- Favorite quote or piece of advice? “Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” You never know what personal struggles others are going through. Patience and a kind smile can make a world of difference to someone.
- On a rainy day would you rather watch movies or play cards/board games? I grew up in a family that loves games. Yahtzee, Gin, and Scattegories are a few of my favorites. If anyone has ever heard of Michigan (and are not related to me!) you are my new best friend.
10 Random Facts
- The first recipe I ever baked from scratch (that I can remember) was chocolate chip cookies from Joy of Cooking. Since then I have perfected my chocolate chip cookie recipe and will likely not share it any time soon!
- I am a natural blonde (just take a look at my mom). It is definitely a prettier shade in the summer when I am in the sun all the time. It tends to get dull in the winter.
- Although I majored in Art History at Trinity College, I am remarkably good at working with numbers. I surprise many when I tell them that I was originally a Math major, but dropped the major when they took the numbers out and started teaching mathematical theory… no thank you!
- Whenever I am in a slump and need inspiration I watch Julie & Julia or just simply watch a Julia Child cooking show.
- I don’t drink coffee… just don’t like the stuff. I drink green tea everyday instead.
- One of the things on my bucket list is to go to Africa, ride in a hot air balloon and watch the sunrise over the safari while drinking champagne.
- I lived in Nantucket during the summer of 2013 where I held a baking/cooking job. Having never worked in a commercial kitchen before, this was definitely an eye-opening experience!
- I am the oldest of three. I have a younger sister and brother. Three kids was an entertaining dynamic growing up.
- Tennis is my favorite sport to play.
- If I had another blog, I would devote it to interior design. I could read design magazines and scroll through their websites for hours. I love learning why designers chose certain pieces as opposed to others and what inspired them.
I am nominating the following blogs…
Everybody Loves Pretty Full of pretty things, from tasty recipes to stunning photography, definitely worth a visit.
The Little Things Keya & Erica are full of clever DIY projects. They also share party planning ideas and recipes.
The Simple Abode Tiffy was one of my first followers and she a rather creative person. She shares her recipes, crafts, and gardening tips.
Sugar ‘n’ Spice by Radhika I always like finding new bloggers from other countries. Radhika is from India and her recipes open my eyes to new flavors and cooking methods in the kitchen.
Put On Your Cake Pants Her blog title caught my attention and her recipes kept it!
I am assigning you the same questions I was assigned, I look forward to your answers! Congrats!