The Fourth of July is here and if you’re not repping the red, white and blue in all facets of daily life, I hate to break it to you, but you’re just not patriotic enough. To get in the American spirit, I suggest giving this festively colored fruit parfait a try.
There’s no doubt that you will be entertaining this holiday weekend and you will need a break from the heavy eating and drinking. Don’t kid yourself, we all know what this weekend is for.
Fresh fruit and homemade whipped cream will provide a refreshing dessert for your weekend barbeque. And who doesn’t need a good homemade whipped cream recipe?
Patriotic Parfait Recipe
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- Start with cream straight from the fridge—the colder it is, the easier and faster it’ll be to whip. Pour the cream into your bowl.
- Using a whisk, begin whipping with wide strokes, which will get more air into the cream and help fluff it up it faster. Switch directions every so often.
- When the cream starts to thicken, just before soft peaks form, add sugar and continue to whip. A good rule of thumb is two tablespoons of sugar for every cup of cream; adjust the sweetness to your own taste.
- Continue beating the mixture until soft peaks form. You can whip until the cream makes stiffer peaks if desired.
- In a glass, layer the strawberries and blueberries, alternating whipped cream and fruit. Garnish with sliced fruit on the top and serve.