Baked goods are always my go-to holiday gifts, but even I can admit that sometimes they can be, well, a bit tedious. For those of you who still want to give a gift from the kitchen, but are short on time, try this candied pecans recipe. It is a quick and delicious option!
My Aunt Ginger introduced me to these sugar coated bits of heaven and between these, my Aunt Carol’s almond bark and my mother’s peanut butter balls results in a heavily induced yuletide food coma. Hey, it’s only once a year, right?
This candied pecans recipe is quick and can easily be doubled. Put them in a festive jar or tin and they will be flying out the door or find a happy home in your belly.
Candied PecansPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or more if you like a kick
- 4 cups 12 ounces pecans halves, unsalted
- 1 egg white whisked
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and cayenne to a large bowl or ziplock bag. Toss or whisk until evenly combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add pecans and egg whites, and gently toss until combined and the pecans are evenly coated. Put the pecans in the sugar mixture and toss until combined.
- Spread the mixture out in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (If your baking sheet is not that large, you may need to split the batch onto two baking sheets.) Bake for about 40 minutes, removing the nuts and giving them a stir every 20 minutes, until the pecans are fragrant and the sugar coating is cooked. (The sugar will harden more once the pecans are out of the oven.)
- Remove from the oven and let the baking sheet cool on a cooling rack until the nuts reach room temperature. Transfer them to a sealed container and store until ready to use.