Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter cookies are a Christmas classic. Try this easy recipe with the kids or when you’re craving a peanut butter treat!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Chilling Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 36 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups (187 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 g or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 g) creamy peanut butter ¹
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup (50 g) white sugar (for rolling cookies in)
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), combine brown sugar, butter and peanut butter. Beat on medium speed until well mixed scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add egg and vanilla, and continue beating until combined.
With the mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture beating just until incorporated. Cover dough and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
When ready to bake the cookies, preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Shape chilled dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Using a fork, flatten balls in crisscross pattern.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are set and cookies are soft. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- For best results use creamy peanut butter. Don't use natural or chunky peanut butter. Natural peanut butter will separate and chunky peanut butter will prevent the cracks from forming in the cookies.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- Dough may be kept in the refrigerator for 2 days or in the freezer for up to three months. Let dough defrost in the refrigerator before baking.