Salted Nutella Blondies
Salted Nutella blondies uses a chewy blondie recipe with the addition of Nutella dollops and a sprinkle of sea salt on top.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 25 blondies
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 226 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 cups (300 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup (13 oz jar) Nutella¹
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt for sprinkling on top (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line an 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a separate large bowl, mix together melted butter and brown sugar using a whisk. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir by hand just until combined.
Pour half the batter into prepared pan and use the rubber spatula to evenly spread the top. Pour Nutella over the bottom layer of batter.¹ Spread evenly with an offset spatula. Pour second half of batter on top and gently smooth over with the rubber spatula.²
Bake at 350° F for 35 to 37 minutes, or until the top is shiny and cracked, and feels firm to the touch. Sprinkle with sea salt immediately and cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 1 1/2 by 1 1/2-inch bars and serve.
¹ I find it helpful to warm the Nutella slightly before pouring. Either transfer to a bowl and microwave for 15 seconds or make sure the foil top is completely removed from the jar and microwave Nutella in the jar for 15 seconds.
² In order to spread the top layer of blondie batter while keeping the Nutella intact, place dollops of batter on top of the Nutella layer and use an offset spatula to connect the dollops and spread evenly (as opposed to one giant glob of batter in the center of the Nutella :)
• These blondies are very soft and full of gooey goodness. Resist the urge to cut them when they come out of the oven or shortly after. Allow them to cool completely. This may take up to three hours.
• Alternatively, you can line a small baking sheet with wax paper and make some space in your freezer. Measure 1 cup of Nutella. Use 2 spoons to divide the Nutella into about 12 dollops on the wax paper, each one about a tablespoon. It doesn't have to be exact. Place the sheet in the freezer while you make the blondies. Instead of pouring Nutella between the blondies layers, simply place the dollops evenly across bottom layer, then top with remaining batter.
• Nutella blondies should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Sodium: 131mg | Potassium: 90mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g