Over the weekend I wanted to bake cupcakes so I whipped these up. As easy as it is to pick up a box of Betty Crocker cupcake mix from the grocery store, baking cupcakes from scratch makes a huge difference. They are moist, flavorful, and oh so delicious. The best part? They don’t have the easily recognizable cupcakes-from-a-box taste. While those babies are baking, try this classic buttercream frosting–simple and delicious, definitely a keeper.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting
Makes about 18 cupcakes
- 1 3/4 (224 g) cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (57 g or 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g ) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup (75 g) sour cream (or plain, low-fat yogurt)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 (160 ml) cup milk
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with baking cups.
- I a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with milk (So it goes flour, milk, flour, milk, flour). Mix until batter is uniform and smooth.
- Fill baking cups about 2/3 full (or a little less) and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack, and allow them to cool to room temperature before frosting or serving.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the butter (with a stand mixer or electric hand mixer) until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, gradually add in the powdered sugar until completely incorporated.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the vanilla and salt and beat for a minute, until fluffy. Add milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer to a frosting bag with tip and frost away!
Adapted from Pastry Affair