Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Cream cheese pound cake is made in a loaf pan with cream cheese, butter, eggs, sugar and flour. The cake’s moist, dense texture makes for a delicious dessert.
I’ve baked quite a few pound cakes in my day and they are all well and good, but there is a secret ingredient that makes this pound cake the best. And that, my friends, is cream cheese. It makes the pound cake extra rich and dense.
In addition to cream cheese, this pound cake recipe also calls for almond extract. While this can be omitted, I think it makes this cake extra special. Just a quarter teaspoon creates a subtle taste that leaves you coming back for more. It will have you saying, “This is the best pound cake recipe I have every tried!”
How to make cream cheese pound cake
Make cream cheese pound cake with the following ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, butter, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and eggs. Then follow these instructions:
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the butter, cream cheese and sugar together. Beat on medium-high speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts. Mix just until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add dry ingredients. Spoon in the flour mixture while the mixer is on low. Keep mixing until combined.
- Bake at 325 F. Bake for 1 hour, then place tin foil over the loaf (like a triangle roof or tent) and bake for 20 minutes longer.
Why is pound cake called pound cake
Pound cake is originally a recipe that calls for a pound of four ingredients: flour, butter, sugar and eggs. It’s typically made in a bundt cake pan or 9×5 loaf pan. Now pound cake have been tested and adjusted for better taste and texture. The addition of cream cheese and vanilla extract makes a difference in both cases.
How to store pound cake
Keep cooled pound cake in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Pound cake will stay fresh at room temperature for up to 3 days and in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Can you freeze pound cake?
Yes, you can freeze pound cake for up to a month. After the cake has cooled completely, wrap the loaf in plastic wrap securely so no air penetrates the cake. Then wrap is in aluminum foil and store in the freezer for up to three months.
More pound cake recipes
If you love pound cake, I suggest giving these recipes a try. Chocolate pound cake is a dense, rich cake that is full of chocolate flavor. The chocolate ganache on top is to die for! Blueberry raspberry pound cake is a nice way to add fresh berries to cake. If you prefer some citrus, try my lemon pound cake recipe I contributed to Spoonful of Flavor blog
What do you like to serve with pound cake? I prefer a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but during the summer fresh berries and whipped cream are delicious too! If you tried this recipe, be sure to tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media so I can see your creation!
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 1 ¾ cups (218 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks or 198 g) unsalted butter, , room temperature
- 6 tablespoons (3 oz or 85 g) cream cheese, , room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (300 g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large eggs,, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, cream cheese and sugar at high speed, until very light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add the vanilla and almond extracts and 1 egg; beat well. Continue to add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.¹
- Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the flour mixture. Increase speed to medium and mix until the extremely light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Spoon the batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes total. After 60 minutes, tent the loaf pan with tin foil and return the pound cake to the oven to bake for 20 more minutes. Pound cake is finished with golden in color and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let pound cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then use the edges of the parchment paper to lift the pound cake out of the pan and set on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
² To store, wrap the cooled pound cake in plastic wrap and keep at room temperature for up to a week.
Recipe inspired by King Arthur Flour.