Homemade Whipped Cream
Homemade whipped cream is made with heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract. It’s so simple to make, you’ll never use store-bought again!
Whipped cream is an essential topping to desserts. Add it to ice cream, pies, cakes and more! You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to make at home. All you need is heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract. In this post I’ll provide tips to achieving the perfect homemade whipped cream!
Why this recipe works: The whipped cream is light and billowy. Confectioners’ sugar makes it extra soft while the vanilla extract adds more flavor. Using extra cold heavy cream and a cold metal bowl guarantees perfect whipped cream.
How to make homemade whipped cream
- Place a metal mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 to 20 minutes. This will help keep the ingredients cold while mixing.
- Add ingredients to the bowl: heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla.
- Use the whisk attachment to mix ingredients. Start on low, then increase speed to medium-high.
- Mix until the whisk is leaving trails in the whipped cream. (See photos below for visual).
Note: You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer to make whipped cream. You can even do this by hand with a whisk, however the mixing will take longer.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, they are not the same. Heavy cream has more milk fat (36%) than whipping cream (30%). They both work well in recipes, but when it comes to homemade whipped cream use heavy cream. It holds its shape better than whipping cream.
Add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar with the rest of the ingredients. This will help whipped cream keep longer in the refrigerator and maintain its shape.
Place whipped cream in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Stabilized whipped cream will last a few days longer.
Yes, you can however it may loose some of its texture. Let the whipped cream stand at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Recipes that use whipped cream
Now that you have mastered whipped cream, try this strawberry shortcake. It’s is a sweet biscuit topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. If that is up your alley, then you will definitely enjoy strawberry trifle (African Bites blog).
Homemade whipped cream is also necessary for no-bake icebox cake with chocolate wafers and as frosting for ice cream cake. A dollop of whipped cream is the perfect garnish for chocolate mousse, which is rich in flavor, but airy in texture.
There you have it! Homemade whipped cream in just minutes. What dessert will you top with whipped cream? Show me on social media by tagging @ifyougiveablondeakitchen.
Homemade Whipped Cream
- 1 cup (240 mL) cold heavy cream, (make sure it's cold!)
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, (granulated sugar works too)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place a metal mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Getting the bowl cold will keep the ingredients cold while mixing.
- Place bowl back on to the stand mixer (or use a hand mixer). Add heavy cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla to the bowl.
- Turn the mixer on low speed for 10 to 20 seconds for ingredients to combine, then increase the speed to medium high. Whip for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until the whisk is leaving a trail in the whipped cream and medium soft peaks form. Use whipped cream as desired.