Icebox cake is a simple no-bake dessert perfect for hot summer days. All you need are chocolate wafers and whipped cream!
This is my favorite no-bake recipe for summer. Icebox cake comes together with only 4 ingredients and requires no baking. My mom made it for us all the time when we were kids and now I am excited to share it with you! I love it because you can make it ahead of time so the chocolate wafers can soak up the whipped cream.
Why this recipe works: It uses homemade whipped cream which makes for a better texture and perfect amount of sweetness. You can make it ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
How to make icebox cake
- Make the whipped cream: Add the heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla in a chilled mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until medium-soft peaks form.
- Assemble: Spread a tablespoon of whipped cream between two chocolate wafers. Add another tablespoon of whipped cream on top, then another wafer. Continue stacking about 12 wafers, then turn the stack on its side. Repeat with two more stacks placing each log next to each other on a plate. Spread whipped cream over the top and sides.
- Chill icebox cake in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight. Garnish with chocolate shavings, slice and serve.
Using a chilled mixing bowl will create a good consistency for the whipped cream. If you’re in a warm climate, work quickly when assembling so the whipped cream doesn’t melt. The cake doesn’t have to be perfect! If you come across a broken wafer, just bind them together with whipped cream. Lastly, use the full 6 hours to chill the cake so the wafers can absorb the whipped cream. Chilling the cake overnight is best.
Frequently Asked Questions
Nabisco chocolate wafers can be found in your local grocery store in the cookie aisle. You can also buy Nabisco chocolate wafers online.
Yes, after the cake has chilled in the refrigerator, cover it in plastic wrap then aluminum foil. The cake can be frozen for up to 1 month. You can cut it frozen or have it soften up a bit in the refrigerator before serving.
Yes, store bought whipped cream can be used if you prefer.
The cookies need time to absorb the whipped cream. You can make the cake the night before or the morning before a party. The cake will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
No bake desserts are simply the best in summer! A classic is this authentic tiramisu, which has a rich egg filling and espresso-dipped lady fingers. For my chocolate lovers, you have to try chocolate cream pie. It has a chocolate cookie crust and a creamy chocolate pudding filling.
If you want more icebox cake, try this chocolate chip cookie icebox cake (Celebrating Sweets blog) made with thin, crisp Tate’s cookies. If you have fresh berries on hand, then make this berry icebox cake with graham crackers (Princess Pinky Girl blog). Nothing says summer more than this s’mores icebox cake (Amanda’s Cookin’ blog).
No bake icebox cake is just the dessert your friends will enjoy on a hot summer day. It tastes like cookies and cream ice cream, but a little lighter in texture. Each bite melts away in your mouth. This is an easy dessert to make ahead of time too! Make it the day before or morning of (just make sure the cake chills for at least 6 hours!)
If you try this recipe, let me know how it turned out! Tap the stars to leave a review and share your baking creation on social media by tagging @ifyougiveablondeakitchen.
Get the Recipe: Icebox Cake
- 1 sleeve Nabisco chocolate wafers
- 3 cups full-fat heavy cream, cold
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate shavings for garnish
- Place a mixing bowl (preferably metal) in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Getting the bowl cold will keep the ingredients cold while mixing.
- Place bowl back on to the stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or use a hand mixer). Add heavy cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla to the bowl. Turn the mixer on low speed for 10 to 20 seconds for ingredients to combine, then increase the speed to medium high. Whip for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until the whisk is leaving a trail in the whipped cream and medium soft peaks form.
- Place a tablespoon of whipped cream between two chocolate wafers. Start stacking the wafers layering each with a tablespoon of whipped cream. After about 12 wafers, spread a little whipped cream on the serving platter, turn the stack on its side and lay it on the platter. Repeat twice more placing each log next to each other. Spread whipped cream over the top and sides of the cake.
- Cover the cake loosely with plastic wrap and chill it in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or ideally overnight. Before serving, garnish with chocolate shavings, slice and serve.