Learn how to make peppermint bark at home! You only need four ingredients and a baking tray.
My absolute favorite holiday treat is peppermint bark. I love the chocolate peppermint flavor combination—it’s simply the best! And you won’t believe how easy it is to make at home.
Why you should make this recipe: It only requires 4 ingredients—dark chocolate, white chocolate, peppermint extract and candy canes. You can make this recipe in large batches. It makes a great holiday gift for friends and family!
Overview: How to make peppermint bark
- Melt the dark chocolate. Spread melted chocolate on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill for 20 minutes.
- Crush the candy canes and sift through a fine mesh strainer to get rid of tiny pieces. Set aside.
- Melt white chocolate. Spread white chocolate over now hardened dark chocolate layer. Immediately add crushed candy cane bits.
- Chill bark for 30 minutes or until hardened. Break bark into pieces and enjoy!
Needs tips for melting chocolate? Check out my post on how to melt chocolate.
Peppermint bark is pretty easy to make, but there are a few tips to help you along the way! Use good quality chocolate—it is the star ingredient after all! It is easier to melt good quality chocolate too. I prefer Ghirardelli or Guittard chocolate. Make sure the chocolate is chopped into equally-sized pieces before melting. The chocolate will melt more evenly and not burn. You can use chocolate chips or Baker’s chocolate.
Be patient. Don’t rush the chilling process. The longer you allow the peppermint bark to set, the less likely it will be for the layers to separate. Bring the chocolate to room temperature before breaking it. This will prevent the peppermint bark from separating when you break it into pieces.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is peppermint bark good for? Peppermint bark will last at room temperature for 2 weeks or in the refrigerator for 3 weeks.
Can you use semisweet chocolate instead of dark chocolate for peppermint bark? Yes. I suggest good quality chocolate, such as Ghirardelli or Guittard.
How to break peppermint bark: I like to use my hands, but a knife works too. Make sure the chocolate is at room temperature to make this job easier. If using your hands, wear food safe gloves to keep the chocolate from melting.
I hope you loved learning how to make peppermint bark! Be sure to tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen if you try one of my recipes and I’ll share my favorites on Instagram.
- 2 cups (12 oz or 340 g) dark chocolate semisweet works too
- 2 cups (12 oz or 340 g) white chocolate
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼ cup crushed candy canes, about 12 minute candy canes
- Line a quarter sheet pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Set aside.
- Place dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Melt chocolate on 50% power level for 2 minutes, stopping to stir every 20 seconds until melted. Stir in the peppermint extract, then transfer the melted chocolate to prepared pan. Use an offset spatula to spread the chocolate evenly. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes.
- Place white a microwave safe bowl. Melt chocolate on 50% power level for 2 minutes, stopping to stir every 20 seconds until melted.
- Take the dark chocolate out of the refrigerator and pour white chocolate on top. Spread evenly and immediately sprinkle crushed candy canes on top. Chill bark for 30 minutes.
- Remove peppermint bark from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature before breaking the bark into pieces either using your hands or a sharp knife. Enjoy!