Mini Blueberry Pies
Mini blueberry pies are a delicious bite-sized treat. The star garnish makes the pies a patriotic dessert for Memorial Day or the Fourth of July!
Ahh finally… summer is arriving. Beach picnics and barbecues, the days of outdoor entertaining are here! For Memorial Day I volunteered to bring dessert so I baked mini blueberry pies topped with little stars!
The dessert dish obviously needed a patriotic flare for the national holiday and what’s more American than pie? I reached for my favorite fruit (blueberries!) and headed to the kitchen to get baking.
To make the dessert easy to transfer and appealing to guests of all ages, I downsized the dessert into mini blueberry pies. It’s remarkably easy to do. Simply use a 2-inch round cookie cutter to create dough circles, place them in a mini muffin tin, fill with blueberry filling and bake!
And to make the mini pies extra patriotic, I used a cookie cutter to create mini stars as the topping. I suggest baking the stars separately and as soon as the mini blueberry pies come out of the oven, top them with the already baked stars.
If you bake the stars on top of the mini pies, the deep color of the blueberry filling seeps into the doughy stars. For the best looking mini pies, bake the stars separately!
The patriotic flare will be a hit at the Memorial Day (or Fourth of July) picnic. Guests will also be a fan of the mini size.
I don’t know about you, but when I’m at a picnic, I tend to load up my plate with a little bit of everything. By the time dessert comes around I only have room for one or two bites!
Problem solved. These mini blueberry pies are literally two bites. Believe me, I gave them a test run (or two).
Mini blueberry pies are undoubtedly a crowd pleaser and with the star topping they make the perfect patriotic dessert! If you have a few pints of blueberries, I suggest you try my blueberry cobbler recipe. It’s delicious when served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy the long weekend and here’s to a fun-filled summer!
Mini Blueberry Pies
- 1 double pie crust recipe, (2 crusts total, store bought works well too)
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- Use a 2-inch circle cutter to cut circles out of the pie dough. Take a mini muffin tin and place one circle in each opening.
- Roll out the remaining pie dough, and use a star-shaped cookie cutter to make the cut out stars. Place stars on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the blueberries, sugar, flour, cornstarch and lemon zest, tossing with hands or a large spoon. Divide this filling between the prepared bottom crusts. Dot the berries with butter.
- Place the muffin tin with prepared mini blueberry pies on a rimmed baking sheet and freeze or refrigerate until firm, about 15 to 20 minutes. During this time, preheat oven to 375° F.
- Bake star cutouts at 375° F for 5 to 7 minutes, or until light golden. Let stars cool and keep them within reach for when the pies are finished baking.
- Bake mini pies at 375° F until golden and juices are bubbling, about 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately place a star on top of each mini pies. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature.