Peanut M&M cookies are clouds of soft peanut butter goodness packed with crunchy peanut M&M’s. This one-bowl recipe is easy to make and simply delicious!
M&M’s have got to be my favorite candy. Recently I’ve been reaching for peanut M&M’s and decided to add them to peanut butter cookie dough to create peanut M&M cookies.
There’s something about the crunchy outer shell covering milk chocolate that really gets my sweet tooth going. It’s crunchy, it’s smooth, it’s sweet, and—with the peanuts—even a little salty. I love grabbing a handful and snacking on them when I want a little something sweet.
I was snacking on peanut M&M’s the other day and realized I had never included M&M’s in a cookie recipe (gasp!) Even though I love M&M’s in cookies when I’m at a bakery, I have yet to include them in my own baking.
Peanut butter M&M cookies
Since peanut M&M’s have been a favorite of mine recently, I opted to use them in a cookie recipe. I kept with the peanut theme and used an easy peanut butter cookie recipe as my base. But seriously, this recipe so easy.
Butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, peanut butter and flour—the basics make up this peanut butter cookie recipe. The dough creates a soft, pillow-like cookie with tons of peanut butter flavor. And in my opinion, peanut butter cookies deliver that “melt in your mouth” experience, which makes them all the more irresistible.
But things get really fun when you stir in the peanut M&M’s.Not only do they add a ton of color to the cookie dough, but they also add a lot of texture. Between the candy coating and the peanuts, the M&M’s really are the star of this cookie recipe.
Recipes with peanut M&M’s
In addition to these peanut butter cookies, there are a handful of recipes that call for peanut M&M’s. Here are just a few of my favorites…
Peanut M&M cookies are by far my favorite peanut butter cookie I have ever eaten. Fresh out of the oven they gently fall into bite-size pieces revealing colorful M&M’s that gently crack open and ooze with chocolate.
With that kind of description it’s easy to understand why these peanut M&M cookies didn’t last long in my house. Little do my friends know that I stashed away some of the cookie dough in the freezer to bake when the holidays come around!
Peanut M&M Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113 g) salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 g) packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (55 g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup (185 g) creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (150 g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups (305 g) Peanut M&Ms
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until light a fluffy, about three minutes. Add peanut butter and mix until combined (about 30 seconds). Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined (about 30 seconds).
- With the mixer on low, slowly mix in the flour and baking soda just until incorporated. Be careful not to overmix. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the peanut M&Ms. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and form balls of dough about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place them on the cookie sheet and gently press the balls down slightly (they won’t spread much while baking). Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will be soft and look undone. Don’t worry, they will firm up as they cool.
- After cooling for a couple minutes on the cookie sheet, transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.