Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Sausage breakfast casserole is a simple, yet flavorful dish. Baked in a 9×13 pan, this casserole is a perfect family meal!
Looking for a quick and easy breakfast that will serve your whole family? Sausage breakfast casserole is just what you need! Cook up some breakfast sausage with peppers and onions, then mix it with eggs and spices. Bake it in a casserole dish and you have breakfast ready to go!
Why this recipe works: You can make the casserole the night before and just bake it in the morning for breakfast. It also reheats well if you have leftovers or a late morning riser.
How to make sausage breakfast casserole
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Cook sausage, peppers, onions and garlic. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and spices. Pour over ingredients in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of the mixture.
- Bake casserole for 20 to 25 minutes until set.
Want to to make this dish more spicy? Use hot Italian (casing removed) instead of breakfast sausage.
Make ahead tips
The great thing about this sausage breakfast casserole recipe is that there are multiple ways to make it ahead of time! The first option is to cook the sausage, peppers, onion and garlic ahead of time and store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. The egg and milk mixture can also be whisked together and stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days. When ready to bake, preheat the oven, assemble the casserole and bake.
The second option is to assemble the casserole the night before, cover it and store it in the refrigerator. In the morning, preheat the oven and bake the casserole (it may take closer to 25 minutes since all the ingredients are cold).
The third option is to assemble the breakfast casserole, cover it and freeze it for up to 2 months. The night before serving, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, preheat the oven and bake the casserole.
Frequently Asked Questions
A breakfast casserole will last covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Yes. Once the casserole has cooled completely, wrap the pan with plastic wrap and aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to 2 months in the refrigerator. Reheat individual servings in the microwave as needed. Alternatively, remove plastic wrap and cover the casserole with aluminum foil. Reheat it in a 350 F oven for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Yes. Omit the sausage and replace it with 2 cups cooked vegetables.
Yes, 1 cup of bread cubes may be added to this recipe.
This sausage breakfast casserole may be served with a fresh fruit salad and/or homemade buttermilk biscuits. If you’re making a breakfast buffet, I suggest adding coffee cake muffins to the table or even homemade croissants if you’re feeling ambitious. For a sweeter breakfast casserole, try my french toast casserole made with french bread.
If you enjoyed this breakfast casserole, then you will love making my spinach mushroom quiche. It is also a good make ahead dish with plenty of flavor. You will also like my muffin tin mini quiche, which is great for entertaining!
Sausage breakfast casserole is a dish perfect for serving a family. It can easily be made ahead of time and baked first thing in the morning! If you have any late risers, the casserole reheats well and tastes just as good! If you tried this recipe, leave a review below and tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media!
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 2 cups (16 ounces or 450 g) breakfast sausage, or crumbled chorizo
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 large eggs
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) whole or low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 ½ cups (180 g) shredded cheddar cheese
- Fresh parsley or chives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, crumble and cook the sausage until no longer pink. Add the onion and bell pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Transfer the content of the skillet in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cumin, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and veggies in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle on the shredded cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the eggs have set and the cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving garnished with parsley or chives.
2 Comments on “Sausage Breakfast Casserole”
Frittatas/casseroles like this are one of my favorite things to make with whatever’s left in the fridge. This one is so easy, and would be a great way to use whatever veggies you have (though the sausage x pepper x onion combo is excellent). Highly recommend having this recipe in your back pocket for vacations where you’re buying a lot of groceries and need to use the last bits up before you leave! Also great for ski trips and something easy to feed a group in the morning. Thanks!