Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
Strawberry oatmeal bars are made with strawberry preserves and an oatmeal almond crumble. They store well and are perfect to bring to picnics, showers and more!
Strawberry oatmeal bars are easy to make from scratch. They have a buttery crust and a crumble topping that pair oh-so-well with strawberry preserves. I personally like adding a few freshly chopped strawberries in the filling for extra flavor. The addition of almonds and almond extract take these bars to the next level!
Why you should make this recipe: I love this recipe because it is easy and versatile. The crust and the oat topping are made from the same mixture while the strawberry filling can be swapped out for different fruit. The result is a flavorful bar with a buttery crumble and sweet filling.
How to make strawberry oatmeal bars
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Make the oatmeal crust/topping: Use an electric mixer to combine dry ingredients. Add butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Bake the crust: Transfer half the mixture to an 8×8 pan and press it down firmly. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Add filling and oatmeal topping: Spread preserves over baked crust and add fresh strawberries on top. Sprinkle remaining oat mixture evenly over the fruit layer.
- Bake strawberry bars for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, I suggest either raspberry or blueberry preserves with matching fresh berries. Cooking time will be the same.
This can happen if the butter is too warm. You want butter that is soft, but still cool to the touch. An easy fix is placing the mixture in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, then using your fingers to break the dough into crumbles.
Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
Yes, once the bars have cooled, wrap it in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before bringing to room temperature and serving.
I love adding strawberries to my recipes in the summer. They are ripe with flavor! If you have leftover strawberries, try my strawberry shortcake made with sweet biscuits and homemade whipped cream. Another recipe to try is strawberry rhubarb crisp (best served with vanilla ice cream) and easy strawberry muffins with streusel. You can use the preserves for jam sandwich cookies. Other fruit-filled dessert bars include my raspberry oatmeal bars as well as the ever so popular apple crisp bars.
What I love about these oatmeal bars is that you can use any type of fruit preserves in the filling. I personally like blueberry or raspberry, but you can also use apricot, fig or cherry preserves!
Strawberry oatmeal bars are perfect for summer picnics or baby showers, but honestly they can be made for any occasion any time of year! What will you be making strawberry oatmeal bars for? Let me know in the comments or by tagging @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media.
Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
- 1 ½ cups (187 g) all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups (125 g) old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup (55 g) finely chopped almonds
- ⅓ cup (66 g) light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup (66 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (12 Tablespoons or 170 g) unsalted butter, softened, but still cool, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract, (optional)
- ¾ cup (225 g) strawberry preserves
- ⅓ cup fresh strawberries cut into quarters, (optional, see notes)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), combine flour, oats, chopped almonds, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix for 30 seconds until thoroughly combined. With the mixer on low, add the butter and almond extract (if using). Mix until the mixture resembles coarse sand (about 2 minutes).
- Transfer half the mixture to prepared pan. Use your hands or the back of a measuring cup to press mixture evenly into the bottom to form the crust. Bake crust for 20 minutes or until golden (keep the oven on).
- Spread preserves over baked crust using an offset spatula. Add chopped fresh strawberries on top. Sprinkle remaining oat mixture evenly over the strawberry layer.
- Bake strawberry bars for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Allow bars to cool completely before removing from pan and cutting into 16 squares.