Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
Chocolate zucchini banana bread is dense and moist. Filled with chocolate chips, it’s the perfect bread to eat any time of day!
Could’ve had a V8! Not so fast, try this chocolate zucchini banana bread instead. Yep, that’s right. This bread delivers a serving of fruit and vegetables, not to mention a way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
My sister shared this recipe with me and I am glad she did. This bread is so good. It’s basically like having dessert for breakfast. Between the banana flavor and the chocolate chips, your sweet tooth will be satisfied.
Unsweetened cocoa powder and semi-sweet chocolate chips masked any signs of this bread being good for you. In my opinion, that is the best way to get my serving of fruits and vegetables—masked in chocolate.
This bread is good for dessert, mid-afternoon snack or even breakfast. If you’re on the go in the morning, grab a slice. Need a chocolate fix before bed? Cut yourself a piece and serve it with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
Who said your fruits and veggies couldn’t be served with a healthy dose of chocolate?
The recipe is a quick bread recipe, which means is quick and easy to make (no kneading)! Use two bowls when making this chocolate zucchini banana bread.
One bowl is for the dry ingredients and the other bowl is for the wet ingredients. Combine the two together, pour in a loaf pan and bake!
I prefer using a hand mixer or stand mixer to combine the wet and dry ingredients, but they can also be stirred together by hand. The latter method just requires a little more elbow grease!
The texture of this bread is incredibly moist and dense. The zucchini’s high water content combined with the softness of the banana makes this texture possible.
Even with those ingredients, there is still a tender crumb with each slice. But of course the best part is the chocolate chips!
Each bite has a morsel of melted chocolate. I chose to sprinkle the top of the load with extra chocolate chips to add a pretty finish.
Try this chocolate zucchini banana bread if you’re craving chocolate, but still want the satisfaction of getting a serving of fruits and veggies. If you want to try the recipe without chocolate, try my zucchini banana bread.
It’s also the perfect recipe for extra zucchini you may have in the kitchen this summer!
Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
- ½ cup (40 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups (180 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated white sugar
- ½ cup (110 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini, (approximately 300 g or two medium zucchinis, patted dry)
- ¾ cup mashed ripe bananas, (approximately 175 g or two medium bananas)
- 1 cup (175 g) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 5×9 loaf pan with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together oil, vanilla and both sugars. Stir in eggs, bananas and shredded zucchini. Stir until well combined.
- Fold in dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean with a few moist crumbs sticking to the toothpick.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Slice and serve.
Recipe adapted from Fork vs. Spoon
This recipe also works in mini loaf tins! Split the batter between two small loaf pans and cut the baking time down to 40 to 50 minutes.