The Homemade Chipwich: Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Learn how to make one of the best summertime desserts—the Chipwich. This chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich is simply delicious and easy to make.
Take a nice long look at that photo. How good does that chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich look? Best of all, it is so easy to make. The homemade Chipwich is creamy vanilla ice cream sandwiched between two chocolate chip cookies and loaded with mini chocolate chips.
I loved Chipwiches when I was a kid. With two desserts in one, the Good Humor ice cream sandwich was unquestionably one of my favorites. Now as an adult I realize how easy it is to make your own cookie ice cream sandwich and it’s ten times better. I’ll tell you why.
What is a chipwich?
A Chipwich is a dessert made with ice cream and chocolate chip cookies. Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream between two chocolate chip cookies and roll the sides in chocolate chips. Chipwich is trademarked by Crave Better Foods, LLC .
How to make a homemade chipwich
- Make the cookie dough according to the instructions. Roll the cookie dough into balls, place them on a cookie sheet and press each ball of cookie dough down slightly.
- Bake the cookies at 350 F for about 12 minutes. Let them cool completely.
- Freeze the cookies for 20 to 30 minutes.
- To assemble, take one cookie and place a scoop of ice cream on it. Place another cookie on top and press down until the ice cream reaches the sides.
- Roll the sides of the ice cream sandwich in mini chocolate chips and serve immediately or freeze until ready to serve.
After rolling the cookie dough into balls, press them down slightly. This will allow the cookies to be a little flatter after they bake and cool. This helps sandwich the ice cream and make them easier to eat.
A key step in making these homemade Chipwiches is to freeze the cookies after they’re done cooling. You’d think all you have to do is sandwich ice cream between freshly-baked cookies, but that’s not the case.
Freezing the cookies makes them sturdier and hardens the melted chocolate chips. You need stiff cookies in order to sandwich the ice cream in between otherwise you’ll have a crumbly cookie mess. Don’t worry though, the chilled cookies will maintain their deliciousness.
How to store ice cream sandwiches
Once the ice cream sandwiches are assembled, make sure you put them back in the freezer to harden and set. Then, individually wrap the chipwiches in plastic wrap or reusable storage bags. Ice cream sandwiches will keep for up to a month in the freezer.
More ice cream sandwich recipes
Ice cream sandwiches are the best summer treat! Here are a few of my favorites…
- Birthday ice cream sandwiches are made with rainbow sprinkles and my favorite sugar cookies.
- Double mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches – Snixy Kitchen blog
- Peanut butter ice cream sandwiches – The Baking Chocolatess blog
- Classic ice cream sandwiches – Simply Recipes blog
One more secret to a perfect cookie ice cream sandwich: Good quality vanilla ice cream. I’m talking slow-churned vanilla from your local ice cream shop. After all, if you’re going to make a homemade Chipwich, you might as well hit it out of the ball park, right?
I suggest wrapping them individually so they are easy to grab on a hot summer’s night. If you try this recipe, be sure to tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media so I can see your homemade chipwich!
Get the Recipe: The Homemade Chipwich: Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chocolate chip cookies
- ½ gallon Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat on medium speed the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about four minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary. Add the egg and vanilla. Beat until combined, 20 to 30 seconds.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the dough. Careful not to over beat. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough, shape into a ball, and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Press down on the dough slightly with your hand or back of a measuring cup. Repeat placing each ball of cookie dough about 1- to 2-inches apart. Bake for about 12 minutes or until the edges start to turn brown. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
Ice Cream Sandwich Assembly
- Take one cookie and place a scoop of ice cream (about 1/4 cup) on the flat side of the cookie. Top with flat side of second cookie to make a sandwich.
- Place mini chocolate chips in a bowl or on plate. Roll sides of the sandwich in the chips. Serve immediately or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze.