This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Coca-Cola Company. All opinions are 100% mine.
Cranberry orange scones are buttery and zesty with a touch of sweetness. This festive flavor combo is perfect for a holiday brunch!
The holiday season calls for lots of baking and while I love my Thanksgiving pies and Christmas cookies, I also enjoy mixing it up a bit in the kitchen. Today, I’m sharing a recipe for one of my favorite festive breakfast pastries—cranberry orange scones. These scones are buttery, zesty and slightly sweet thanks to the seasonal ingredients.
This flavor combo is a popular around the holidays and it works well in scones. The dried cranberries add a tart sweetness whereas the orange zest and Simply Orange® juice add a bright tangy taste. Both flavors complement the distinctive buttery, flaky texture found in scones. Making it a seasonably delicious treat for a holiday brunch or dessert after dinner.
How do you make cranberry orange scones?
This cranberry orange scone recipe calls for simple ingredients—flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, dried cranberries, orange zest, heavy cream and Simply Orange® Juice. Combine the ingredients quickly starting with the dry ingredients, followed by the butter, then the cranberries and orange zest, finally finishing with the heavy cream and orange juice.
The key to a noticeable orange flavor is to add orange zest and Simply Orange® juice. The two together are a zesty combo. I prefer Simply Orange® Juice because it has no added sugars and is non-GMO. It’s simply, well, orange juice, which is all you need in these scones. You can find Simply Orange® Juice 52oz 2pk and more Coca-Cola products at Sam’s Club.
Orange glaze for scones
The orange glaze is comprised of only two ingredients—confectioners’ sugar and Simply Orange® Juice. Sift the confectioners’ sugar so there are no clumps in the mixture and double check that your Simply Orange® Juice is pulp-free (I bought the 2-pack at Sam’s Club and it contained no pulp). Depending on your desired consistency for the glaze, start with one tablespoon Simply Orange® Juice and, if you still want a thinner glaze, add more.
Tips for making scones
The secret to making scones is keeping your ingredients cold. This will result in a flaky, buttery scone. Keep your ingredients in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them and work quickly. Have your oven preheated so once the scones are cut they can go right into the oven!
Another quick tip is using a food processor to combine the butter with the flour. This helps cut the cold butter quickly and into small bits. If you don’t have a food processor, use a pastry blender. Avoid using your hands as your body heat will warm the ingredients. Cutting scones with a sharp knife or cookie cutter creates nice clean edges and maintains height when the scones bake. Dust your knife or cookie cutter with flour so the dough doesn’t stick to it. I prefer round scones as they bake more evenly and are the traditional British shape.
Cranberry orange scones will be the perfect addition to your holiday breakfast. Serve with a glass of Simply Orange® Juice, which can be found at Sam’s Club. If you are short on time (which we all are around the holidays), try Club Pickup or Scan & Go. I used Scan & Go within the Sam’s Club app and was back to my kitchen to bake in no time!
Cranberry Orange Scones
- 1 tablespoon Simply Orange juice
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold and cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¾ cup to 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 tablespoons Simply Orange juice
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar sifted
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor, whisk together (or pulse a couple times) flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the cubed butter to the dry ingredients and pulse until a crumbly mixture appears, about 30-60 seconds. The mixture should resemble dry, coarse sand. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in cranberries and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together heavy cream and Simply Orange juice. Slowly pour the cream mixture in to the flour mixture. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir until combined. If mixture is dry, add another tablespoon or two of heavy cream. Dough should be firm and slightly sticky. Avoid overworking it with your hands so it remains cold.
- Put some flour on your work surface and place dough on top. Add some flour onto the top of the dough, and then pat it out into a disk about 8-9 inches in diameter and 1-inch thick. Use a 3-inch round cookie cutter to cut circular scones. Reform the dough scraps and cut again until you have 10 scones.
- Place scones on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. As an option, you can brush the scones with a tablespoon of heavy cream and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for 18-20 minutes. When scones are golden, remove from oven and let cool.
- Prepare the glaze as the scones cool. Whisk together the confectioner’s sugar and 1 tablespoon Simply Orange juice. Drizzle orange glaze over the scones and serve.
- Simply Orange Juice 52oz 2pk can be purchased at Sam’s Club.