Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
Hot chocolate bombs are chocolate molds with hot cocoa and marshmallows inside. Drop one in warm milk and enjoy!
Chilly, wintery days call for a warm mug of hot chocolate. The most fun way to make hot chocolate is using a hot chocolate bomb, which is a chocolate mold filled with cocoa mix and mini marshmallows. Pour warm milk over the hot chocolate bomb and watch it explode with cocoa!
Why this recipe works: This recipe uses a double layer of melted chocolate so the shell is thick and sturdy to hold its contents. The extra small marshmallows allows you to fit more in each bomb!
How to make hot chocolate bombs
- Melt the chocolate: Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Melt chocolate on 50% power level for 2 minutes, stopping to stir every 20 seconds.
- Make the chocolate molds: Use a spoon or pastry brush to spread chocolate into the silicone mold (make sure each hemisphere is 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter).
- Freeze chocolate molds: Place mold in the freezer for 5 minutes or until chocolate hardens.
- Repeat process: Spread more melted chocolate into the molds, paying close attention to coating the sides and edges of the hemispheres. Freeze again for 5 minutes.
- Assemble hot chocolate bombs: Microwave a plate for 30 seconds until warm. Place two chocolate molds on the plate with the edge face down to melt the edges. Fill one half with cocoa mix and mini marshmallows. Place other half on top, connect the edges and place on a tray to set.
- Make hot chocolate: Place hot chocolate bomb in a mug and pour warm milk over it. Watch the hot chocolate bomb open up! Stir and enjoy.
Best mold for hot chocolate bombs
Any semi sphere mold will work. I prefer silicone because it is easier to pop the hardened chocolate out of the mold. I used a 1-1/2 inch semi-sphere mold, which makes smaller hot chocolate bombs (good size for kids or small mugs of hot cocoa). If you want adult size hot chocolate bombs, I suggest getting the 2-inch semi-sphere mold.
Be patient. This may take a couple tries to get it perfect, especially if you haven’t worked with chocolate molds in the past. Any shells that break, I set aside and melt again to make more hot chocolate bombs. I suggest you check out my post on tips for melting chocolate to get nice smooth chocolate.
Use two coats of melted chocolate. This makes all the difference because it makes a sturdy shell. Pay close attention to spreading the chocolate on the sides and edges. Wear food safe gloves to avoid getting finger prints on the hot chocolate bombs!
More hot chocolate recipes
Do you love hot chocolate? Then you have to try my hot chocolate brownies! They are made with the same mini marshmallows inside and out! Another fan favorite are these hot cocoa cupcakes with marshmallows frosting. They are simply delicious! And you wouldn’t believe how easy it is to make hot chocolate from scratch. I definitely recommend giving it a try!
Hot chocolate bombs are a fun beverage to make this holiday season. It is also a good aprés ski treat! What occasion are you making this hot chocolate bombs for? Let me see on social media! Tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen and I will share my favorites.
Get the Recipe: Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 1 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup hot cocoa mix
- ¼ cup mini marshmallows
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate on 50% power level for 2 minutes, stopping to stir every 20 seconds until smooth. (See tips for melting chocolate).
- Use a spoon or pastry brush to spread melted chocolate into semi-sphere silicone molds (1 1/2 to 2-inches in diameter).
- Place chocolate filled molds in the freezer to set for 5 minutes.
- Remove molds from freezer and repeat the process. Spread another layer of chocolate inside each semi-sphere, paying close attention to coat the sides and edges of the molds. Freeze for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Microwave a plate for 30 seconds until warm. Carefully remove chocolate from the molds (use food safe gloves to avoid finger prints). Place to semi-spheres on the warm plate with the edge side down to melt the edges. Work quickly and fill one half with cocoa mix and mini marshmallows. Place the other half on top and connect the edges where the chocolate has melted. Use fingers to smooth the edges if necessary. Place on a tray to set.
- Place one hot chocolate bombs in a mug. Pour warm milk over the hot chocolate bombs and watch the chocolate melt away to release the cocoa and marshmallows. Stir and enjoy!
Inspired by I Am a Food Blog