Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Chocolate chip cookie bars are soft, chewy and loaded with chocolate chips. Simply cut up the bars and share with your friends!
Chocolate chip cookies are a classic dessert and they serve well in the form of a dessert bar. Each bar is so chewy and sweet. The generous amount of chocolate chips makes these bars hard to resist! They are quicker to make since all you have to do is slice and serve instead of scooping dough for each individual cookie.
Why this recipe works: This recipe is a based off my classic chocolate chip cookie recipe. There is a good ratio of brown sugar and butter to keep the cookies sweet and flavorful. The brown sugar and extra egg yolk make the bars extra chewy while the cornstarch makes the bars soft.
How to make chocolate chip cookie bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients—flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Mix the melted butter, brown sugar and sugar until well combined and light in color. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla, and mix until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer dough to prepared pan. Bake chocolate chip cookie bars for 25 to 30 minutes until edges are set and center is soft. Cool completely, slice and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you used a glass baking pan, the edges will bake more quickly since glass retains heat longer.
They were either baked too long or there was too much flour in the dough. Weigh your ingredients for accurate measuring or fluff up your flour with a fork and spoon it into the measuring cup (don’t pack it in).
Cookie bars are best when eaten the day they are baked, but they will last 3 to 4 days in an airtight container at room temperature?
The dough may be frozen for up to 3 months. Baked bars may be individually wrapped and frozen in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Yes, you can! I personally like chilled the dough first for extra chewy cookies.
Yes, double the recipe and bake it in a parchment-lined baking sheet. Baking time will be 30 to 35 minutes.
Dessert bars are easy to make and share with friends. My personal favorite are sugar cookie bars with buttercream frosting. They are so soft and sweet, plus you can add sprinkles for festive occasions. One of the more simple recipes on the blog is for magic cookie bars. The recipe requires only 5 ingredients!
If you enjoy chocolate chip cookie bars, then you will definitely love blondies. They have a mix of semisweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and pecans!
Chocolate chip cookie bars are perfect when you don’t want to scoop and bake each individual cookie. All you have to do is slice and serve the bars! I prefer baking them when I’m having a girls night in or a potluck. What occasion are you baking these bars for?
If you try this recipe, leave a review below and tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 2 ¼ cups (280 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (170 g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- ¾ cup (150 g) packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (250 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk butter, brown sugar and sugar until light in color, about 2 minutes. Add egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Mix until incorporated. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Transfer dough to prepared baking dish and press down evenly using a spatula or your hands. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the edges are set and the center is soft. Allow bars to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before lifting out of the pan, slicing and serving.