Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
Homemade pizza dough is made with 6 ingredients and tastes like it’s from a pizzeria!
Pizza night is the best night of the week! And homemade pizza dough makes the best pizza. You won’t believe how easy it is to make pizza dough at home! You only need 6 ingredients to make the dough and your favorite toppings.
Why this recipe works: This pizza dough is crisp, yet soft. It’s not doughy or too thin. It’s the perfect balance! You can also make the dough ahead of time so it’s ready that night or the next day.
Step by step instructions
- Make the dough: Whisk the bread flour, all purpose flour and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the warm water, olive oil and active dry yeast. Pour wet ingredients into the flour and stir until a shaggy ball starts to form. Use your hands to press into a ball. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes, then knead the dough for another 3 minutes until a smooth ball forms.
- Cut the dough: Cut the dough in half and form into two balls. Cover with a damp towel and let dough rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 475 F.
- Shape the dough: Punch the dough down and place on a slightly floured surface. Use your hands to gently pull the dough into a 12-inch round. Transfer to a greased baking sheet.
- Bake the pizza: Brush the dough with olive oil and add toppings. Bake at 475 F for 12 to 15 minutes.
Looking for a pizza pan? I have this Nordicware pan and I love it. It has vents to make the crust crispy!
How to stretch pizza dough
There are a few methods to stretch pizza dough, but before you begin make sure the dough is room temperature and your work surface is floured. My favorite is the “steering wheel method” where you use gravity to let the dough stretch out. Pick up the dough at one end and hold is perpendicular to your work surface. Gently hold on to the edge to turn the dough in the same direction allowing gravity to pull the dough out.
You can also leave the dough on the floured work surface and use your hands to stretch the dough out into a circle. Some people like pressing their fingertips into the dough and pressing it outwards. See my recipe video for a visual on this step.
How to freeze pizza dough
This is one of the reasons I love this recipe! It makes two 12-inch round pizza doughs so I usually end up freezing one. To do this, let the dough rise at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours or in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours. When ready to freeze, use a little bit of olive oil to lightly grease the outside of the ball of dough. Place in a freezer safe bag and remove all the air. Seal tightly, label with the date and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to defrost pizza dough
Remove the dough from the freezer 8 to 24 hours before baking the pizza. Place it in the refrigerator to defrost. Let dough come to room temperature 30 to 45 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 475 F and make sure it is preheated for at least 10 minutes so it’s nice and hot when the pizza goes in. Follow steps 4 and 5 in the recipe card below.
If you’re looking for pizza topping ideas, check out this blog post from Recipe Tin Eats for inspiration. Pizza dough doesn’t have to be for pizza! You can also make garlic knots and dip them in homemade marinara sauce.
Another favorite recipe of mine is focaccia bread. It is similar to pizza dough, but generously topped with olive oil, garlic and rosemary. Find the recipe here.
Homemade pizza dough will be your favorite thing to make every pizza night from now on! It makes a crust that rivals any respected pizzeria. How do you like to top your pizza? Are you a meat lover, a veggie fan or cheese devotee? Let me see on social media by tagging @ifyougiveablondeakitchen.
Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons (150 g) bread flour, (or '00' pizza flour if you can find it)
- 1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons (150 g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons (220 mL) lukewarm water
- Make the dough: In a large bowl whisk together the bread flour, all purpose flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the warm water, yeast and olive oil. Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture. Use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to stir the mixture together until a shaggy ball forms. Let the dough sit for 15 minutes. With floured hands, transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead by hand for 3 more minutes until a smooth ball forms.
- Cut the dough: Use a dough scraper to cut the dough in half. Form each half into a ball of dough on the floured surface. Place a damp cloth over the dough and let the dough rest at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours or in the refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours (see notes if shilling dough). Preheat the oven to 475° F and allow it to get nice and hot for 10 minutes while you prepare the pizza.
- Shape the dough: On a floured surface, use your hands to gently stretch the dough into 12-inch rounds (be careful not to tear the dough!) Place the pizza dough on a pizza stone or greased baking sheet.
- Top and bake the pizza: Brush a little bit of olive oil on top of the pizza to prevent the crust from becoming soggy with the toppings. Add desired toppings (see notes for suggestions). Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 475° F. Slice pizza immediately and serve.