Happy Taco Tuesday! One of my favorite items in my spice cabinet is my homemade taco seasoning. Yeah, you can go to the store and buy the packets of seasoning, but do you know how many preservatives and additives are in them? Instead of buying the “convenient” taco seasoning packets, try making your own.
Go take a quick peek in your spice cabinet. I bet you will see most, if not all, of these ingredients. So why not make your own taco seasoning? You can better control salt intake, avoid those pesky preservatives, and heat up your favorite Mexican dish to your liking.
My favorite meal to use this taco seasoning with is crock pot chicken chili. It’s gluten-free, low-calorie and low-fat, not to mention a perfect match for taco seasoning. But whether it is Taco Tuesday or Fajita Friday, I guarantee this homemade seasoning is a healthier alternative to its store-bought counterpart.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less according to taste
- Add ingredients to a small bowl and mix together. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- For cooking, use about 2-3 tablespoons (depending on your taste) per pound of meat.