Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Slow cooker chicken chili is healthy, delicious and easy to make in the crockpot. Try this recipe for game day or on a cold winter night!
Winter can be wicked cold in the Northeast, which inspires me to make comfort food. My go-to is chili because it’s an easy recipe that anyone can make in a slow cooker. This crockpot chicken chili is packed with flavor from my homemade taco seasoning. It is perfect for a cold winter day!
Why this recipe works: The recipe calls for simple ingredients where you can use a whole can of beans. Each serving is packed with protein, fiber and flavor! It has a temperate spice so even the kids will like it.
How to make chicken chili
- Place all the ingredients except the chicken in a crockpot. Stir to combine. Place the chicken breast on top of the mixture and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours.
- Half an hour before serving, remove chicken from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred the meat. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook for 30 more minutes for the best flavor.
- Serve chili warm with shredded cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro if desired.
I have made this in a 2-quart slow cooker, but it’s a tight squeeze. I recommend a 6-quart crockpot (I like this model because the top clasps down so you can carry it to an event!)
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does chicken chili last? Chili will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 days.
Can you freeze chicken chili? Yes. Transfer chili to an airtight container and freeze for up to 4 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before reheating.
What to serve with chicken chili
My favorite thing to serve with chicken chili is no knead artisan bread. It’s the perfect bread to soak up all the chili goodness! Another good option is classic northern cornbread (a family favorite in my house!), but if you want some extra spice, make jalapeño cheese cornbread.
If you love crockpot recipes, I have a few on the site you will enjoy!
Did you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below and if you REALLY loved it, consider leaving a comment further down the page.
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- One 16-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 16-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 10 oz package frozen corn kernels, about 2 1/3 cups
- Two 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 oz. taco seasoning,
- 1 teaspoon cumin*
- 1 teaspoon chili powder*
- 24 oz (1 1/2 lbs) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- chili peppers, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Combine beans, canned tomato, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred with a fork. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, cheese and/or sour cream.
Recipe adapted from Gina’s Skinny Recipes