Salted Caramel Pretzel Blondies
Salted caramel pretzel blondies are a sweet and salty treat. The 5-minute recipe is easy to follow and yields 16 squares.
Caramel pretzel blondies are the ultimate sweet and salty treat. The blondies are packed with brown sugar flavor contrasted with salty pretzel pieces. The caramel drizzle on top adds a nice toffee-like flavor that is simply irresistible. These blondies are easy to make and will satisfy your cravings!
Why this recipe works: These blondies require melting the butter on the stovetop until fragrant, which creates a nutty caramel flavor in the blondies. Adding the pretzels in last minute keeps them crunchy for texture and flavor.
Step by step instructions
- Whisk together the dry ingredients—flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat until fragrant.
- Stir together wet ingredients—melted butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir in the pretzels last.
- Transfer mixture to a parchment lined 9×9 pan. Place pretzel twists on top of batter and drizzle 1/3 cup caramel over the top.
- Bake the blondies at 350 F for 30 minutes. Drizzle with remaining caramel sauce and let cool completely.
Helpful tips for making blondies
The blondie batter is a tad thick so you will have to use a little arm strength to stir in the crushed pretzels. At first, it may seem like a lot of pretzels, but once the blondies are baked you will realize it is the perfect amount!
The blondies are done when a toothpick inserted a spot without caramel comes out mostly clean. The blondies will firm up as they cool so avoid over baking.
You can use a homemade caramel sauce or store bought. I have made this recipe with both. The store bought brand I used was the 365 brand from Whole Foods.
Frequently Asked Questions
Place butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Once the butter has melted, stir it slowly to prevent it from burning (you can also swirl the pan over the heat). You may see little brown specs forming and that’s okay! The butter is down when it is light brown and has a nutty aroma.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days (after that the pretzels will get too soft).
After the blondies have cooled completely, put them in the refrigerator for the caramel to set. Then, wrap the blondies in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Store in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Salted caramel blondies are simply delicious. The sweet and salty flavor combo is irresistible! I love making these blondies for friends on special occasions or as a weekend treat. What are you making these blondies for? Show me on social media by tagging @ifyougiveablondeakitchen.
Salted Caramel Pretzel Blondies
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick 113 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (200 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups lightly crushed mini pretzels, measure loosely
- 16 mini pretzel twists, (not crushed)
- ⅔ cup caramel sauce, separated
- Sea salt or Kosher salt for sprinkling, optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line an 8-by-8-inch pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt butter until light brown and fragrant, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.1
- Transfer the melted butter to a large bowl. Add the egg, brown sugar and vanilla. Whisk vigorously by hand to combine until light in color, about 5 minutes.2
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until incorporated (avoid over-mixing or the blondies will be tough). Use a rubber spatula to fold in the crushed pretzels.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top lightly with the spatula. Place 16 mini pretzel twists on top (4 across and 4 down). Drizzle about 1/3 cup caramel sauce over the pan in a zig-zag pattern.
- Bake for 28 to 32 minutes, or until center is just set. Watch the actual blondie dough (not the caramel sauce because it will stay gooey). The blondies are done when a toothpick inserted a spot without caramel comes out mostly clean. The blondies will firm up as they cool so avoid over baking. My blondies baked for exactly 30 minutes.
- Immediately after removing pan from the oven, drizzle about 1/3 cup caramel sauce over the top in a zig-zag pattern. Try to follow the original zig-zag pattern if possible. Sprinkle with sea salt and allow blondies to cool in the pan for 1 hour.
- The browned butter adds some extra flavor, but if you are nervous about burning the butter, just melt the butter in the microwave for about a minute. It won’t brown, but works just as well in the recipe.
- Alternatively, you can use a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.