Toffee bars are made with a buttery thick shortbread crust, melted chocolate and chopped nuts. They make a good holiday gift!
This recipe was originally posted in 2013. It was last updated August 2020.
25 Days of Baking: Day 3
As you well know, candy is seen everywhere during the holidays. Toffee happens to be one of my favorites. It doesn’t hurt that it is easy to make in large batches. I put a spin on this well-known candy treat and made them into dessert bars.
Why this recipe works: Toffee bars have a soft shortbread crust that is made with butter and brown sugar for toffee flavor. They are easy to make and gift well for the holidays.
Step by step instructions
- Make the crust: Beat shortbread crust ingredients together using an electric mixer.
- Bake the crust: Bake at 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes until fragrant and golden in color.
- Add chocolate and nuts: Sprinkle chocolate chips over the warm crust. Once melted, spread evenly. Add chopped nuts. Let bars cool completely until chocolate hardens. Cut and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions
How to store toffee bars: Store in an airtight container in a dry cool place for up to 1 week.
How to freeze toffee bars: Once cooled, layer cut bars between layers of parchment paper in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
How to gift toffee bars: Place bars in a holiday tin or paper box. Tie with a bow and gift as you see fit!
Toffee is a unique and irresistible flavor. You can try your hand and making double chocolate toffee cookies (Good Cheap Eats blog) and toffee and chocolate chip brownies (Tried and Tasty blog). If you like a good salty sweet combo, then this butter toffee popcorn from Brown Sugar Food Blog is for you!
Just throw them in a tin or a decorative bag with a bow and voila! You have just treated yourself to the perfect Christmas movie snack. Or you could gift them I suppose… in which case I would wrap them in a box with heavy-duty tape because these bars are seriously addictive. So share them with your friends, they will thank you and probably ask for the recipe.
Toffee Bars Recipe
- 11 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans, (or peanuts)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, baking powder, and salt until well blended. Gradually add flour.
- Add brown sugar and vanilla extract until blended. Scrape down the sides when needed. Lastly, add the egg and mix well.
- Spread mixture into a greased 13×9 baking pan. I found that a regular knife works better than a rubber spatula for spreading.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges are lightly browned and surface is dry.
- Immediately after taking the toffee out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly. Let stand for 5 minutes so they melt. Spread chocolate over bars. Sprinkle with nuts and let it stand until chocolate is set.
- Cut into squares and then in half into triangles. Store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Adapted from Taste of Home