Best Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
Creamy, decadent and delicious. Make the best chocolate cheesecake bars with just seven easy-to-find ingredients! This rich dessert is a chocolate lover’s dream and is the perfect addition to any dessert table. Serve on Valentine’s Day or whenever you’re craving a chocolate treat!
I can’t think of anything better than chocolate and cheesecake. The combination makes a mouth-watering treat filled with wonderful chocolate and tangy flavors. These bars have a silky smooth buttery texture complemented perfectly by a crunchy Oreo cookie base making them irresistible! These fluffy melt-in-your-mouth bars always please a crowd and are great for sharing.
Why this recipe works
This recipe for chocolate cheesecake bars is foolproof and works every time. Simply measure the ingredients accurately, follow a few simple steps and you are on your way to making heavenly dessert bars. They are easier to share than a whole cheesecake. Another great thing about this recipe is that you don’t need a water bath, which means less hassle!
- Chocolate chips: Select good quality chocolate chips for this recipe. This is important as it will give the cheesecake its deliciously rich chocolate flavor.
- Cream cheese: Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature before combining it with the other ingredients for easy mixing. I suggest block cream cheese since it has less air.
- Oreo: Use classic flavored Oreos for this recipe. Avoid double and alternative Oreo flavors as they contain too much filling. The Oreos must be blended or crushed into crumbs by hand.
- Butter: This is melted and combined with crushed Oreos to make the crust firm and prevent it from falling apart.
The cheesecake bar crust can also be made with graham crackers or shortbread crust instead of Oreos. Crush about 16 cookies of your choice and combine them with melted butter. Then add it to the base of the baking tray and add the cheesecake filling.
To make these bars even more chocolatey, add cooled chocolate ganache on top once the bars have cooled completely. Serve with fresh berries and whipped cream if desired.
If you need to make a larger batch, double this recipe and bake the cheesecake bars in a 9×13 pan instead. You will also need to bake the bars for an extra 10 minutes as it is a larger quantity.
How to make chocolate cheesecake bars
- Make Oreo crust: Line an 8×8 square pan. Crush cookies in a ziplock bag them by using a rolling pin or the back of a measuring cup. Add crumbs to bowl with melted butter and mix until combined. Transfer to 8×8 baking pan and press into an even layer. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave: Then, set aside to cool slightly.
- Make chocolate cheesecake filling: Beat the cream cheese until smooth, add sugar, and beat until fluffy. Add the cooled, melted chocolate and mix until incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mix until combined and add the vanilla. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula when necessary.
Let the melted chocolate cool completely before combining it with the cream cheese to make the filling. If you use warm chocolate, the filling will seize before it is poured onto the crust.
Use a measuring scale to weigh the ingredients accurately before baking. This will ensure that you achieve the best results when making this cheesecake.
Make sure you chill the cheesecake before cutting and serving as this will help the filling to become firm and hold its shape.
Don’t forget to crack the oven door for one hour after turning off the heat. This will help to give the cheesecake its amazingly smooth and firm texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can tell if they are done by examining whether it is firm at the edges and has a slight jiggle in the middle. Do this by wearing oven mitts and gently shaking the baking tray.
Let the cheesecake cool completely before cutting. Use a large knife and wipe it down with a paper towel after cutting each piece. This will prevent the bars from getting messy as they are being cut.
Yes. To freeze the cheesecake cool and chill completely and do not cut it. Then, wrap it tightly with plastic and aluminum foil, so the bar is airtight. Freeze for up to three months. Defrost in the refrigerator before cutting and serving.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you loved this recipe try these other cheesecake recipes.
Did you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below and if you REALLY loved it, consider leaving a comment further down the page.
Get the Recipe: Best Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- 1 ⅓ cups crushed Oreo cookies, about 16 cookies
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 16 ounces cream cheese, two 8 ounce bars, room temperature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Line a 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper or foil, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine crushed Oreo cookies with melted butter until all crumbs are moistened. Press crumb mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.
- Place 2/3 cup chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power level for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Heat an additional 15 seconds if needed. Let cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add in sugar and vanilla, beat well. Add cooled melted chocolate and mix again until combined. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined. Make sure to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Spoon cheesecake mixture over prepared crust and smooth to edges. Bake in a preheated 325° F oven for 40-45 minutes, until only center of cheesecake jiggles. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in oven with door to oven cracked for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove cheesecake to rack to cool completely before refrigerating. Let cheesecake chill for at least 4 hours (ideally overnight) to chill entirely before slicing. Store in an airtight container or covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Inspired by Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen.