Chocolate cheesecake bars are a rich dessert made with chocolate flavored cheesecake and an oreo crust. This treat is a chocolate lover’s dream!
I’m not sure why, but I have been on such a cheesecake kick recently. This week I made these intense chocolate cheesecake bars, last week it was nilla wafer cheesecake pie and last month I made raspberry cheesecake bites. It’s only a matter of time until I turn into cheesecake.
But of the three I just mentioned, the chocolate cheesecake may be my favorite. It is rich, smooth and most importantly chocolatey. I just can’t resist chocolate.
When this dessert was baking in the oven, the most heavenly chocolate aromas filled my kitchen. Every bite delivers the most intense chocolate flavor. The fluffy yet thick cheesecake melts away in your mouth, while the Oreo crust gives its own irresistible flavor.
The lucky ones who tasted these chocolate cheesecake bars could barely finish their first bite before sending their compliments to the chef. This dessert is that good.
It is also pretty easy to make from scratch. The Oreo crust is literally just Oreo cookies and melted butter pressed into a pan. The chocolate cheesecake filling requires only five ingredients (most of which, if not all, are probably in your kitchen).
Just whip the filling ingredients together and pour is over the crust. Bake and chill the cheesecake bars. Voila! This chocolatey dessert is ready to enjoy.
The best advice I can give for this recipe is to wait for the melted chocolate to cool. Obviously you still want the chocolate to be melted, but if it is still pretty warm it will cause the cheesecake filling to seize up before pouring onto the crust. Nobody wants that!
I suggest melting the chocolate after you make the Oreo crust. Preheat the oven and make the filling. By the time you’re ready to add the melted chocolate to the filling, it should be the proper temperature.
Chocolate lovers get your baking pan ready and pull out the ingredients. This recipe is undoubtedly for you!
Tools you need to make chocolate cheesecake bars:
Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- 1 1/3 cups crushed Oreo cookies about 16 cookies
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2/3 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 16 ounces cream cheese two 8 ounce bars, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Line a 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper or foil, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine crushed Oreo cookies with melted butter until all crumbs are moistened. Press crumb mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.
- Place 2/3 cup chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power level for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Heat an additional 15 seconds if needed. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add in sugar and vanilla, beat well. Add cooled melted chocolate and mix again until combined. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined. Make sure to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Spoon cheesecake mixture over prepared crust and smooth to edges. Bake in a preheated 325° F oven for 40-45 minutes, until only center of cheesecake jiggles. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in oven with door to oven cracked for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove cheesecake to rack to cool completely before refrigerating. Let cheesecake chill for at least 4 hours (ideally overnight) to chill entirely before slicing. Store in an airtight container or covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Inspired by Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen.