Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
Chocolate cheesecake bars are a rich dessert made with chocolate flavored cheesecake and an oreo crust. This treat is a chocolate lover’s dream!
I have been on such a cheesecake kick recently. It’s only a matter of time until I turn into cheesecake. This week I made these intense chocolate cheesecake bars. It is rich, smooth and most importantly chocolatey. What can I say, I just can’t resist chocolate or cheesecake.
When this dessert was baking in the oven, the most heavenly chocolate aromas filled my kitchen. Every bite delivers the most intense chocolate flavor. The fluffy yet thick cheesecake melts away in your mouth, while the Oreo crust gives its own irresistible flavor.
How to make chocolate cheesecake bars
Chocolate cheesecake bars start with an Oreo crust (more on that below). The chocolate cheesecake filling is made with melted chocolate, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Melt the chocolate in the microwave, then set aside to cool slightly. Check out my tips for melting chocolate if you need to!
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the cooled, melted chocolate and mix until incorporated. Add the eggs once at a time, mixing until combined, then add the vanilla. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula when necessary.
Pour the cheesecake mixture into the baking pan with the crust and bake in a preheated 325° F oven for 40 minutes until only center of cheesecake jiggles. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in oven with door to oven cracked for 1 hour.
How to make oreo cookie crust
Oreo cookie crust is literally just Oreo cookies and melted butter pressed into a pan. For an 8×8 square pan, use about 16 cookies. Crush them by hand by placing the cookies in a plastic ziplock bag and crushing with the back of a measuring cup or rolling pin. You can also place the cookies in a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs form.
You should have about 1 1/3 cup cookie crumbs. Stir them with 1/4 cup melted butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan and prepare the filling. This recipe does not require you to bake the cookie crust before hand.
Tips for making chocolate cheesecake
The best advice I can give for this recipe is to wait for the melted chocolate to cool. Obviously you still want the chocolate to be melted, but if it is still pretty warm it will cause the cheesecake filling to seize up before pouring onto the crust. Nobody wants that!
I suggest melting the chocolate after you make the Oreo crust. Preheat the oven and make the filling. By the time you’re ready to add the melted chocolate to the filling, it should be the proper temperature.
How to store chocolate cheesecake bars
Chocolate cheesecake bars are best stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. These bars can also be frozen for up to a month. To do this, let the cheesecake cool and chill completely. Do not cut. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap then aluminum foil so the bar is airtight. Freeze for up to a month. Defrost in the refrigerator before cutting and serving.
More cheesecake recipes
Do you love cheesecake? You should try my classic homemade cheesecake recipe. It has all the tips and tricks for cheesecake perfection! If you are more a no-bake kind of cheesecake person, check out my no bake cheesecake bites. They are so easy to make and are satisfying bite-sized treats!
Chocolate lovers get your baking pan ready and pull out the ingredients. This recipe is undoubtedly for you! If you liked this recipe, try my chocolate cream pie with Oreo crust. I’d love to see your baking creations on Instagram! Tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen and I’ll feature my favorites.
Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- 1 ⅓ cups crushed Oreo cookies, about 16 cookies
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 16 ounces cream cheese, two 8 ounce bars, room temperature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Line a 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper or foil, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine crushed Oreo cookies with melted butter until all crumbs are moistened. Press crumb mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.
- Place 2/3 cup chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power level for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Heat an additional 15 seconds if needed. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add in sugar and vanilla, beat well. Add cooled melted chocolate and mix again until combined. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined. Make sure to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Spoon cheesecake mixture over prepared crust and smooth to edges. Bake in a preheated 325° F oven for 40-45 minutes, until only center of cheesecake jiggles. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in oven with door to oven cracked for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove cheesecake to rack to cool completely before refrigerating. Let cheesecake chill for at least 4 hours (ideally overnight) to chill entirely before slicing. Store in an airtight container or covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Food processor – this tool makes crushing the Oreo cookies into fine crumbs easy and quick
- Kitchen scale – weighing your ingredients is much more accurate than measuring them with cups.
- Hand mixer or stand mixer – Electric mixture guarantees and nice smooth cheesecake filling
- 8×8 baking pan – a kitchen staple for all types of dessert bars
Inspired by Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen.