Best Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
Make the best chocolate cheesecake bars with just seven easy-to-find ingredients! This rich dessert is a chocolate lover’s dream and the perfect addition to any dessert table. Serve on Valentine’s Day or whenever you’re craving a chocolate treat!
I can’t think of anything better than chocolate and cheesecake. The combination makes a mouth-watering treat with wonderfully decadent chocolate flavors. These bars have a silky smooth buttery texture complemented perfectly by a crunchy Oreo cookie base making them irresistible (similar to my mini chocolate cheesecakes)! These melt-in-your-mouth bars always please a crowd and are great for sharing.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Lots of chocolate flavor. Between the Oreo cookie crust and rich chocolate cheesecake, your tastebuds are sure to be satisfied.
- Only 7 ingredients. A few common ingredients is all you need to make this delicious dessert!
- Bars are easier to share than a whole cheesecake.
- No water bath needed, which means less hassle!
- Perfect for Valentine’s Day or whenever you’re craving a chocolate dessert.
- Chocolate chips: Select good quality chocolate chips for this recipe. This is important as it will give the cheesecake its deliciously rich chocolate flavor.
- Cream cheese: Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature before combining it with the other ingredients for easy mixing. I suggest block-style cream cheese since it has less air.
- Oreo: Use classic flavored Oreos for this recipe. Avoid double and alternative Oreo flavors as they contain too much filling. The Oreos must be blended or crushed into crumbs by hand.
- Butter: This is melted and combined with crushed Oreos to make the crust firm and prevent it from falling apart.
Refer to the recipe card for ingredient details and measurements.
Try a different crust. It can also be made with graham crackers or shortbread cookies instead of Oreos. Crush about 16 cookies (about 1 1/3 cup crumbs) and combine them with melted butter. Then add it to the base of the baking tray and add the cheesecake filling.
Double this recipe and bake the cheesecake bars in a 9×13 pan instead. You will also need to add 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time as it is a larger quantity.
How to Make Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- Make Oreo crust: Line an 8×8 square pan. Crush cookies in a ziplock bag them by using a rolling pin or the back of a measuring cup. Add crumbs to bowl with melted butter and mix until combined. Transfer to 8×8 baking pan and press into an even layer. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave: Then, set aside to cool slightly.
- Make chocolate cheesecake filling: Beat the cream cheese until smooth, add sugar, and beat until fluffy. Add the cooled, melted chocolate and mix until incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mix until combined and add the vanilla. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula when necessary.
- Assemble the cheesecake: Pour the filling into the baking pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake at 325° F oven for 35 to 40 minutes until only the center of the cheesecake jiggles. Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake in the oven with the door cracked open for 1 hour. Then cool completely and chill for 3 hours.
Let the melted chocolate cool to room temperature before combining it with the cream cheese to make the filling. If you use warm chocolate, the filling will seize before it is poured onto the crust.
Use a kitchen scale to weigh the ingredients accurately before baking. This will ensure that you achieve the best results when making this cheesecake.
Don’t forget to crack the oven door for one hour after turning off the heat. This will help to give the cheesecake its amazingly smooth and firm texture.
Make sure you chill the cheesecake before cutting and serving as this will help the filling to become firm and hold its shape.
Make Ahead and Storage Tips
Make ahead the bars and keep in the refrigerator before serving. I suggest serving within 24 hours so they have a fresh appearance.
Store cheesecake bars covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freeze for up to 1 month. After the bars have chilled for 3 hours, wrap them in plastic wrap and aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. Store on a flat surface in the freezer. Defrost in the refrigerator before serving.
You can tell if they are done by examining whether it is firm at the edges and has a slight jiggle in the middle. Do this by wearing oven mitts and gently shaking the baking tray.
Let the cheesecake cool completely before cutting. Use a large knife and wipe it down with a paper towel after cutting each piece. This will prevent the bars from getting messy as they are being cut.
I have not tested this recipe in a springform pan. I suggest using my chocolate cheesecake recipe instead.
If you loved this recipe try these other dessert recipes.
Did you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below and if you REALLY loved it, consider leaving a comment further down the page.
Get the Recipe: Best Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- 1 ⅓ cups crushed Oreo cookies, about 16 cookies
- ¼ cup (56 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cups (113 g) semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups (16 oz or 253 g) block-style cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅔ cup (133 g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Line a 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper or foil, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine crushed Oreo cookies with melted butter until all crumbs are moistened. Press crumb mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.
- Place 2/3 cup chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power level for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Heat an additional 15 seconds if needed. Let cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add in sugar and vanilla, beat well. Add cooled melted chocolate and mix again until combined. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating just until combined. Make sure to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Spoon cheesecake mixture over prepared crust and smooth to edges. Bake in a preheated 325° F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until only center of cheesecake jiggles. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in oven with door to oven cracked for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove cheesecake to rack to cool completely before refrigerating. Let cheesecake chill for at least 3 hours (ideally overnight) to chill entirely before slicing.
Inspired by Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen.