Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
Classic peanut butter cookies are easy and delicious. The recipe makes soft, chewy cookies perfect for dipping in milk!
This is a staple in any baker’s recipe collection. Classic peanut butter cookies are easy to make and a fan favorite. You know what they are by the signature fork cross hatch on top! This specific recipe creates a soft, chewy peanut butter cookies that are hard to resist.
- Peanut butter: Use creamy no-stir peanut butter. Make sure there is no oil sitting on top of the jar.
- Butter: Use room temperature unsalted butter for a flavorful cookie. Salt is added separately to activate the leavening agents.
- Brown sugar: This helps make the cookies extra chewy and delicious! You can use light or dark brown sugar.
- Cornstarch: Whisk this together with the flour to guarantee a soft texture.
- Baking soda and baking powder: These leavening agents help the cookies rise properly and make them soft.
Add mix-ins. About 3/4 cup chocolate chips or chopped nuts may be mixed into the dough prior to chilling. Other options include M&M’s, Reese’s pieces or other chopped chocolate candy.
Make cookie sandwiches. Pipe chocolate buttercream frosting on the bottom of one cookies and sandwich is together with a second cookie! You can also make ice cream sandwiches with your favorite ice cream.
Double the recipe to make twice as many cookies! You can bake them all at once or freeze half the dough for up to 3 months.
Adjust for dietary restrictions. Try making gluten-free peanut butter cookies with 1:1 baking flour.
How to make classic peanut butter cookies
- Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter and mix until incorporated. Beat in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the bowl
- With mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture. Mix just until combined. Cover the bowl and chill dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop 1 Tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Roll ball of dough in additional granulated sugar and place on prepared baking sheet. Use a fork to create a crisscross pattern on top of the ball of dough.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes until the cookie edges are set and centers are soft. Cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Bake a lot of cookies like me? You’ll love this cookie scoop! I use it all the time.
Frequently Asked Questions
The secret here is to add cornstarch. It makes cookies soft and thick!
Use a creamy peanut butter that does not separate. I used Skippy Natural Creamy Peanut Butter.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.
Wrap cookie dough in plastic wrap or place in an airtight container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before scooping and baking.
Love peanut butter? Here are some more recipes you will enjoy. Peanut M&M cookies are a fan favorite and are packed with peanut flavor! Peanut butter blossoms are a classic Christmas cookie. They are topped with a Hershey’s kiss! I also love making no bake peanut butter balls around the holidays (they are made with 5 simple ingredients). Finally peanut butter cookie bars are super easy to make and turn out soft and chewy.
These classic peanut butter cookies are a personal favorite of mine. I love baking them all year round, but especially around the holidays! What will you be baking these cookies for? Show me on social media by tagging @ifyougiveablondeakitchen.
Did you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below and if you REALLY loved it, consider leaving a comment further down the page.
Get the Recipe: Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 ⅓ cups (166 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup (113 g or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 g) creamy peanut butter ¹
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar (for rolling cookies in)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), combine butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add peanut butter and mix until incorporated. Add egg and vanilla, and continue mixing until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl if necessary. With the mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture beating just until incorporated.
- Cover dough and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- When ready to bake the cookies, preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Scoop 1 Tablespoon of dough, shape into a ball and roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Using a fork, flatten balls in a crisscross pattern.
- Bake 10 minutes or until edges are set and cookies are soft. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely.