Eggnog cheesecake has a rich, creamy filling that sits on a spiced ginger snap crust. This holiday dessert is a hit!
Christmas season is upon us and so are holiday cocktails. What’s your opinion on eggnog? I’m a fan so much so that I decided to make a cheesecake with the holiday drink. It has a rich, thick taste that is flavored with rum extract and nutmeg.
Eggnog cheesecake is also made with a ginger snap crust. The creamy cheesecake complements the spiced, crunchy crust perfectly. The two flavors together make the ultimate holiday dessert! Serve this cheesecake after Christmas dinner or during holiday parties. It’s a fan favorite.
How to make eggnog cheesecake
Eggnog cheesecake is made with cream cheese, sugar, flour, eggs, eggnog, milk, rum extract and nutmeg. Beat the cream cheese first to ensure it is smooth and no clumps remain. Follow it with the sugar and flour, then the eggs and eggnog. Finally add the rum extract and nutmeg for flavor.
Bake the eggnog cheesecake in the ginger snap crust at 300 F for 55 to 60 minutes. Turn off the oven and crack open the door. Let the cheesecake cool in the oven for one hour before chilling in the refrigerator. I did not use a water bath and my cheesecake had no cracks. If you want to guarantee no cracks in your cheesecake, use a water bath by wrapping your springform pan with aluminum foil and placing it in a roasting pan with at least an inch of water.
Can you freeze eggnog cheesecake?
Yes! Cheesecake freezes very well. Let the cheesecake cool completely and remove the outer rim of the springform pan. You can keep the cake on the pan bottom or transfer to a plate. Freeze the cake uncovered until firm (about 1-2 hours). Remove from freezer and wrap it in plastic wrap and aluminum foil so no air can penetrate the cake. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost in the refrigerator before cutting and serving.
How to make ginger snap crust
Ginger snap crust is made with ginger snap cookies, flour, brown sugar and ginger. The easiest method for making this crust is by using a food processor. I own this one and it works perfectly for not only this recipe, but for many others. Press the mixture on the bottoms and sides of a 10-inch springform pan and bake until fragrant (10 minutes)
FAQ about eggnog
What alcohol goes in eggnog?
Traditionally, brandy is added to eggnog. However, cognac, dark rum and even bourbon can be added to eggnog. It’s personal preference as to what you decide to add to your eggnog. I prefer rum.
What does eggnog taste like?
Eggnog tastes like sweet, creamy milk. It doesn’t taste like egg at all. It’s almost like melted ice cream that is slightly flavored with nutmeg.
Recipes that use eggnog
Do you have extra eggnog in the refrigerator? Put it to good use with these recipes.
- Frosted eggnog cookies
- Eggnog cupcakes
- Eggnog ice cream
- Eggnog glazed chocolate donuts
- Eggnog bundt cake
Eggnog cheesecake makes the perfect dessert for holiday gatherings. Make it for dessert on Christmas eve or serve it at your holiday party. If you try this recipe, tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media so I can see your creations!
Ginger Snap Crust
- 1 ¼ cups (191 g) ginger snap cookie crumbs , (I used Stauffer's Ginger Snaps)
- ¼ cup (28 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (57 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cups (three 8 oz packages) cream cheese, , room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 3 tablespoons (24 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup (187 ml) eggnog,, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream and additional ground nutmeg for garnish,, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 10″ round springform pan with parchment paper. Grease the bottom and sides of the pan and set aside.
Ginger Snap Crust
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine all of the ingredients and pulse until evenly mixed, about 1 minute. Press mixture into the bottom and sides of the springform pan making sure the sides are at least 1-inch high.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until fragrant. Set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), beat cream cheese until smooth and no clumps remain. Add the sugar and flour and beat until combined, about 2 minutes. Halfway through, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
- Add the eggs and mix to combine, about 30 seconds. With the mixer on low, slowly add the eggnog. Finally, stir in the rum extract and nutmeg until incorporated. Use a spatula to scrape the sides and bottoms of the bowl if necessary.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan/crust and bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
- The cake is finished when the sides are set, but the center 2 inches of the cake is still a bit wobbly when gently shaken. Turn off the oven, prop open the door, and allow the cake to slowly cool in the oven for one hour. Then remove cake from the oven, lightly cover it and place it in the refrigerator to chill for 4+ hours or overnight.
Freezing eggnog cheesecakeLet the cheesecake cool completely and remove the outer rim of the springform pan. You can keep the cake on the pan bottom or transfer to a plate. Freeze the cake uncovered until firm (about 1-2 hours). Remove from freezer and wrap it in plastic wrap and aluminum foil so no air can penetrate the cake. Freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost in the refrigerator before cutting and serving.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B01JTDG084″ locale=”US” tag=”ifyogiablaki-20″]Kitchen scale[/easyazon_link] – Weighing your ingredients guarantees accuracy, which is important in baking.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00KHLN7K2″ locale=”US” tag=”ifyogiablaki-20″]Food processor[/easyazon_link] – I own this model and it works really well. Great for getting fine cookie crumbs.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00005UP2K” locale=”US” tag=”ifyogiablaki-20″]Stand mixer[/easyazon_link] – The consistency in the beating helps get the cream cheese extra smooth.
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B0000DIX6V” locale=”US” tag=”ifyogiablaki-20″]10-inch springform pan[/easyazon_link] – The release of the sides makes serving cheesecake easy.