Magic cookie bars are sweet dessert bars made with graham crackers, coconut and chocolate chips. This easy recipe makes enough bars for a crowd!
This magic cookie bars recipe is amazing and how could it not be? Graham cracker crust, toasted coconut and chocolate chips make up a combination of delicious flavors.
This is definitely one of my favorite easy dessert recipes. It is packed with layers of sweetness and anyone who is a sucker for toasted coconut and chocolate (like me) will have trouble stopping at just one!
What are magic cookie bars?
Magic cookie bars are dessert bars made with a base layer of graham cracker crust topped with sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips and coconut flakes. The bars are baked in the oven and cooled before serving.
How to make magic cookie bars
Magic cookie bars require the following ingredients: graham crackers, butter, sweetened condensed milk (I like the Eagle Brand), shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
- Melt butter in the pan. Pop the pan in the oven and the butter should melt in a couple minutes.
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over melted butter. Press graham cracker mixture evenly into the pan using bottom of measuring cup.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over graham cracker crust. Spread with an offset spatula or by tilting the pan back and forth slightly.
- Scatter half the chocolate chips over sweetened condensed milk.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut over chocolate chips.
- Finish with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes. Coconut will be golden brown when the bars are finished.
If you don’t like coconut, I suggest substituting with chopped nuts or marshmallows instead.
How to cut magic cookie bars
Wait for magic cookie bars to cool completely. Cut into squares using a sharp knife or plastic knife. Wipe knife clean after each cut. In a 9×13 pan, cut 4 columns and 6 rows to yield 24 bars.
Can magic cookie bars be frozen
Yes, once the bars have cooled, cut them in to squares. Transfer bars to an airtight container, placing them between layers of parchment paper. Freeze bars for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before serving at room temperature.
More dessert bar recipes
Cookie bars are quick and easy to make in a pan. Here are a few of my favorites…
- Sugar cookie bars – Sugar cookie dough is made into bars and topped with buttercream frosting
- Smore’s bars – This summertime bar is made with graham cracker dough, chocolate bars and marshmallow fluff.
- Classic blondies recipe – Made with a batter similar to chocolate chip cookie dough, these bars are packed with semisweet and white chocolate chips as well as pecans
- Snickers cookie bars – packed with Snickers candy and topped with chocolate fudge
- Chocolate chip cookie bars are everyone’s favorite cookie but made into bars!
Magic cookie bars taste delicious thanks to the combination of flavors. The graham cracker layer is buttery and rich, while the coconut adds a toasted, nutty flavor. Sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips make this dessert perfectly sweet.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media so I can see your creation!
Magic Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113 g) unsalted butter
- 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups (10 full sheets) graham cracker crumbs
- 2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips divided in half (1 1/4 cup portions)
- 1 1/2 cups (90 g) shredded coconut
- Unwrap butter and place in 13-inch x 9-inch pan. Place pan, with butter, in the oven and preheat the oven on to 350* F. Melt the butter in the pan while preheating (5 to 10 minutes).
- Once the butter is melted, remove pan from oven and evenly sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs over the melted butter. Press the graham cracker butter mixture into the pan using the back of a spoon or bottom of a measuring cup.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over the crumb layer. Spread by tilting the pan slightly or using an offset spatula (it's okay if it's not perfect).
- Sprinkle 1 1/4 cup of the chocolate chips over the sweetened condensed milk. Sprinkle all of the shredded coconut on top (most of the chocolates will be covered). Finish layering with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake bars at 350* F for 25-30 minutes or until the coconut is golden brown. Remove bars from oven and cool completely. Cut using a sharp knife. Wipe the knife clean after each cup to keep the bars clean.