Birthday Cake Mix Waffles
Cake mix waffles are the best birthday breakfast. Doused in whipped cream, maple syrup and sprinkles. these waffles are easy and fun to make!
It’s my birthday! Today I am fully embracing the phrase “treat yo self” and indulging in birthday cake mix waffles for breakfast (making my gal Leslie Knope proud). I don’t treat myself to such a decadent breakfast on a daily basis, but every now and then you just have to treat yourself to something special. I can’t think of any better excuse than it being a birthday.
Birthday cake mix waffles are made with cake mix in a waffle iron. They are light and fluffy and loaded with rainbow sprinkles. This recipe is easy and quick to do in the morning. Perfect for a birthday breakfast!
How to make cake mix waffles
Cake mix waffles are a one bowl recipe that requires the following ingredients:
- One Box of White Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Water
- 3 large Eggs
- Rainbow sprinkles.
Simply whisk the cake mix together with oil, water, eggs and sprinkles and you have the batter for birthday cake mix waffles. Pour into a greased waffle iron and bake according to the manufacture’s instructions. These waffles took about two and a half minutes per side to turn golden brown.
FAQ about homemade waffles
- What is the best waffle iron for homemade waffles? I own the Hamilton Beach Belgian Waffle Maker and I love it. I’ve used it for years and the waffles come out perfectly golden each time. Plus, it’s easy to clean!
- What is the difference between regular waffles and Belgian waffles? Belgian waffles are thicker and fluffier than regular waffles. Many Belgian waffle recipes use extra leavening agents to provide rise in the waffles. There is plenty of leavening agents in cake mix to make a fluffy Belgian waffle.
- How long do you leave waffles in a waffle maker? About 5 minutes, however, time varies depending on the make and manufacturer of your waffle iron.
Cake mix recipes
Do you prefer the quick and easy way to bake? Here are some creative way to use boxed cake mix in your baking.
- Funfetti Cake Dip – An easy no-bake recipe that requires three ingredients
- Chocolate Cake Mix Donuts – Satisfy your chocolate craving in minutes with these donuts
- Butter Cookies – Use a yellow cake mix to make these gooey m=butter cookies
- Funfetti Pancakes – No waffle iron? Try these pancakes instead.
The one thing I should have done was added a birthday candle on top. Who needs a cake when you have waffles? I think we can all agree that waking up to a plate of waffles on your birthday is the ultimate “treat yo self” moment!
If you try one of my recipes, be sure to tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media.
Cake Mix Waffles
- Canola oil nonstick cooking spray
- 1 package white cake mix (16.25 oz)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles, plus additional for garnish
- Whipped cream
- Coat waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Heat according to manufacturer’s directions on medium heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, oil, water and eggs until smooth. Stir in sprinkles. Pour 2/3 cup batter onto waffle iron (I suggest using a ladle to make this easier). Bake according to manufacturer's instructions. Most waffles take 5 minutes or until the waffle is golden in color. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top each waffle with maple syrup, whipped cream and sprinkles as desired. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Dear Crissy.