Easy Pumpkin Muffins
Easy pumpkin muffins are topped with a sweet streusel that pairs perfectly with the pumpkin pie spices. These muffins are ready in less than 30 minutes!
Pumpkin season is almost here! One of the easiest pumpkin recipes for fall is pumpkin muffins. I personally prefer a muffin with a streusel topping to add a little extra sweetness and texture. These muffins are easy to make from scratch (no mixer required!) and they will instantly put you in the mood for fall.
Why you should try this recipe: Pumpkin muffins are ready in less than 30 minutes and they have all the pumpkin pie spices. These muffins are guaranteed to turn out light, fluffy and flavorful!
How to make pumpkin muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Make the streusel: Whisk together the flour, brown sugar and sugar, then stir in the butter. Set aside.
- Make the muffin batter: Whisk together the dry ingredients—flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices—set aside. In a separate bowl, vigorously whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar and sugar. Add the eggs and mix until combined. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Finally, stir in the pumpkin puree until incorporated.
- Bake the muffins: Divide batter among prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle streusel over the muffins. Bake at 400 F for 18 to 20 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, 2 1/2 teaspoons of homemade pumpkin pie spice will work in this recipe.
Yes. This recipe will make around 36 mini muffins. Fill each mini muffin cavity about two-thirds full. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out with little to no crumbs.
No. Keep pumpkin muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you want the muffins to last longer, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Yes. Once the muffins have completely cooled, place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to 1 month. Defrost in the refrigerator before bringing to room temperature and serving.
This recipe for pumpkin muffins is pretty straightforward, but there are a few tips to help guarantee success! First off, be sure to use pumpkin purée not pumpkin pie filling! I also find it helpful to weigh ingredients with a kitchen scale to guarantee accuracy. I own this kitchen scale and it’s amazing! When making the streusel, mix the streusel just until clumps start to form. Set it aside while making the muffin batter (this will help the streusel to dry out a little bit). Bake the muffins at a high heat (400° F) for extra fluffiness!
Pumpkin is a versatile baking ingredient that works well in these recipes too!
Did you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below and if you REALLY loved it, consider leaving a comment further down the page.
Easy Pumpkin Muffins
- ¾ cup (93 g) all purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 4 Tablespoons (56 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups (250 g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves, or all spice
- ¾ cup (150 g) packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups (one 15 oz can) 100% pure pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- Make the streusel by whisking together the flour, brown sugar, sugar and melted butter. Then set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk brown sugar, granulated sugar and melted butter together until butter is absorbed. Add eggs and vigorously whisk until combined. Stir in pumpkin puree.
- Pour wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix until no flour pockets remain (avoid over-mixing). Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Generously sprinkle streusel over muffins (use all the streusel).
- Bake at 400° F for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with little to no crumbs.