25 Days of Baking: Day 21
It is the weekend before Christmas and you are most likely doing some last minute shopping or recuperating from last night’s Christmas party. Whatever your plans may be, you will need a hearty breakfast to get you through the weekend. These gingerbread waffles will do the trick. Made with plenty of flavor and topped with eggnog whipped cream, this festive breakfast is delicious down to the last bite.
“Christmas Wrapping” by the Waitresses
Gingerbread Waffles Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup molasses
Eggnog Whipped Cream
- 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons eggnog full fat
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients--flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl until combined (eggs, melted butter, milk, sour cream, molasses). Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just until incorporated (be careful not to over mix).
- Heat a waffle iron and cook batter according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Serve warm, topped with eggnog whipped cream and maple syrup.
Egg Nog Whipped Cream
- Chill a mixing bowl in the freezer until cold. Pour chilled whipping cream, eggnog, and nutmeg into the bowl and beat with the whisk attachment on high until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add granulated sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate mixture until ready to use.
Adapted from Once Upon A Cutting Board