This homemade apple pie recipe has been my mom’s go-to for decades. The tender, yet crisp cinnamon apple filling is enveloped by a buttery, flaky pie crust.
My mom has a handful of desserts that never fail to please the crowds, one of which is her apple pie. Year round she whips out her homemade apple pie recipe and bakes pies for the family. Lucky for you, I have the honor of sharing the recipe with you today!
My mom has probably made this recipe 200 times. The only other thing she has made close to that many times are her lemon bars. But this homemade apple pie recipe is truly perfected. Growing up I liked this pie so much sometimes I ate it for breakfast. No really… I did.
Best apples for apple pie
The five best apples for apple pie for Granny Smith, Northern Spy, Pink Lady, Honeycrisp and Braeburn. I like to do a mix of two varieties. For this pie I did a mix of Granny Smith (juicy, tart and firm) and Pink Lady (crisp with a balance of sweet and tart).
How to make homemade apple pie
Apple pie filling requires the following ingredients:
- Double pie crust for the bottom and top of the pie
- 6 large apples such as Granny Smith, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp.
- 2/3 cup sugar helps the apple release their juices and make the filling sweet.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons all purpose flour helps thicken the pie filling.
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon zest help keep the apples from browning and keep the flavor bright
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon adds flavor to the pie. You can also add 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and all spice for something extra.
- 1 tablespoon butter cut into small pieces
- Egg wash (1 egg and 1 tablespoon milk) to create a golden color on the crust.
Once you have your ingredients, follow these instructions:
- Peel, core and cut apples into 1/4-inch slices. Place in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, flour, lemon juice, lemon zest and cinnamon to the bowl and gently mix using a wooden spoon or your hands until apples are well coated.
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes so the apple soften and juices form.
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Transfer apples to pie plate with pie dough. Add pads of butter on top, then place second pie crust on top. See below for lattice pie crust instructions.
- Brush egg wash on top pie crust. Egg wash is one egg and 1 tablespoon milk whisked together.
- Bake at 425° F for 30 minutes, then lower to 350° F and bake 30 to 40 minutes longer. Pie is done when juices are bubbling and apples are tender when poked with a toothpick.
Try my recipe for homemade pie crust.
How long to bake homemade apple pie
Bake apple pie for at least an hour. Start with oven at 425° F and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F and bake for 30 to 40 minutes longer, or until juices start to bubble and apples are tender when poked with a toothpick.
How to make a lattice pie crust
Start with a 12-inch pie crust rolled into a circle. Follow these instructions:
- Cut pie crust into strips (I eyeballed it and got about 10 strips).
- Place 5 strips vertically across the pie. Fold back every other strip half way (1st, 3rd and 5th strip).
- From the remaining 5 strips, pick the largest and lay it horizontally across the pie. Fold back the vertical strips.
- Fold back the other two vertical strips (2nd and 4th). Place horizontal strip down. Repeat pattern until no strips remain.
- Tuck edges of the strips underneath and flute the edges of the pie crust.
How to make egg wash
Egg wash is a mixture of egg and milk (or water). Whisk one room temperature egg and 1 tablespoon milk in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to brush mixture on top of pie crust. This will make a nice golden color for the crust with extra flavor. Add a sprinkle of sugar for a nice “glow.”
FAQ about apple pie
Does apple pie need refrigeration? Technically no, but storing pie in the refrigerator helps it keep longer. Apple pie keeps at room temperature for 2 days and in the refrigerator for 5 days.
Can you freeze homemade apple pie? Yes, once cooled, cover the entire pie and pie dish with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Store on a flat surface in the freezer for up to three month.
How do you bake homemade frozen apple pie? Defrost apple pie on the counter for 5 to 6 hours or ideally overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat pie in a 300º F oven for 30 minutes until warm.
What to make with lots of apples
If you like apple desserts or simply have a lot of apples in the house, I suggest trying these recipes.
- Apple crisp bars – a shortbread crust, apple pie filling and crisp top make these bars delicious!
- Easy apple crisp – deliciously baked apples with crisp pecan topping
- Apple bundt cake – this cake serves a crowd and is topped with caramel glaze
- Easy baked apples – Belle of the Kitchen blog
- Easy apple butter – Life as a Strawberry blog
If you enjoyed this apple pie recipe, be sure to tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media so I can see your pie!
Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 recipe double pie crust
- 6 large apples about 2 1/2 pounds (Granny Smith, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp)
- 2/3 cup (133 g) sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Core, peel and cut the apples. I used an apple peeler to cut the apples to cut 1/4-inch thick slices quickly.
- Place apple slices in a large bowl. Pour lemon juice and lemon zest on apples first to prevent browning. Then sprinkle sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt on top. Use a wooden spoon or hands to combine mixture until apples are evenly coated.
- Let apple mixture sit 15 minutes so juices form and apples get tender.
- Preheat your oven to 425° F. If using my homemade pie crust recipe, remove the chilled dough from the fridge. On a well-floured board, roll out the dough to about 1/8 of an inch thick and place it in a pie plate.
- Add the room temperature apple filling to the pie plate. Roll out the other half of the dough and top your pie. Fold edges to form a thick edge crust and flute using your fingers. Cut a few vent slits in the center of the pie. If making a lattice pie top, follow the step-by-step instructions and photos above.
- Make egg wash by whisking egg and 1 tablespoon milk in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to brush mixture on pie crust (you probably won't use all the mixture). Sprinkle crust with sugar.
- Bake the pie at 425° F for 30 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350° F. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes longer. Pie is done when the filling is bubbling and apples are tender when pricked with a toothpick.
- Let the pie cool completely on a rack, 3 to 4 hours. If you wish to serve the pie warm, place it in the oven at 300° F for 15 minutes. The pie is best when eaten the day of, but can be kept covered at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.