Peanut Butter Nutella Cookies
If you like Nutella, you are going to love these easy thumbprint cookies! A dollop of nutella is added to the center of each cookie for a delicious treat. I suggest making these peanut butter nutella cookies around the holidays or when you have a craving for something sweet!
Nothing makes a peanut butter dessert better than a little chocolate and it’s even better with Nutella (just check out my Nutella stuffed blondies). A little salty sweet action with a hint of hazelnut really awakens your sweet tooth! These peanut butter nutella cookies are soft, chewy and gooey with the dollop of Nutella in the center.
Why this recipe works
I pulled the recipe from my peanut butter blossoms, which are super chewy and soft. Instead of adding Hershey’s kisses, I opted for a dollop of Nutella instead! You can control how much of the chocolate hazelnut spread is added to each cookie to create the perfect balance of Nutella to peanut butter.
- Peanut butter: Use no-stir creamy peanut butter. Do not use the kind that is separated with oil on top.
- Nutella: This chocolate hazelnut spread is easy to find at most grocery stores.
- Unsalted butter: Bring the butter to room temperature. Use unsalted for best results and add the salt separately to activate the baking soda.
- Brown sugar: Light brown or dark brown sugar will work in this recipe.
For a little extra sweetness, roll the cookie dough balls in granulated sugar before baking. If you don’t want a dollop of Nutella in the center, you can drizzle it over the cookies have they have cooled. You could also dip half the cookie in the chocolate hazelnut spread and add a few sprinkles!
This recipe can be easily doubled to make a large batch around the holidays. You can also halve the recipe for a small batch. Cut all the ingredient measurements in half and use just an egg yolk.
To make peanut butter cookies with nutella swirl, add 1/4 cup Nutella to the cookie dough. Use a butter knife to swirl it in without over mixing. Chill the dough 2 hours before scooping and baking.
How to make peanut butter nutella cookies
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat wet ingredients. Use an electric mixer to beat peanut butter, butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, then mix until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Roll cookie dough into balls and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Bake cookies at 375 F for 10 to 12 minutes. As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, use the back of a teaspoon to add indentation in the center.
- Add nutella to the thumbprint in the center of each cookie.
Use room temperature ingredients for the best consistency in your cookie dough. I suggest weighing your ingredients for the most accurate measuring. However, if you don’t have a kitchen scale, remember to spoon your flour into a measuring cup and level it with a knife (never pack down flour).
Chill the cookie dough so the cookies don’t spread too much. I like placing the cookie dough balls in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before baking. As soon as the cookies come out of the oven add the thumbprint. This has to happen when the cookies are warm so they keep the indent shape to hold the Nutella.
Frequently Asked Questions
The dough was too warm or the cookie sheet was hot. Make sure the cookie dough balls are chilled long enough before baking.
Either the cookies were over-baked or there is too much flour. Remember to spoon the flour into a measuring cup and level it with a knife (don’t pack it down).
Form the dough into a log and wrap it in plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 3 months. Alternatively, the cookie dough balls may be stored in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers.
Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Do not stack the cookies unless you plan to add the dollop of Nutella right before serving.
If you like peanut butter desserts, here are some more you should try!
Did you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card below and if you REALLY loved it, consider leaving a comment further down the page.
Get the Recipe: Peanut Butter Nutella Cookies
- 1 ¾ cup (218 g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (100 g) light brown sugar
- ½ cup (120 g) no-stir creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup (113 g or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Nutella
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- With a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine sugar, brown sugar, butter, and peanut butter. Beat until combined and fluffy. Scraping down sides when necessary. Add egg and vanilla. Continue beating until mixed. Then add the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside. Scoop a full tablespoon of dough and roll into 1 inch balls. Place balls 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Place cookie sheet in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes then remove from oven and immediately press with the back of a spoon for the thumbprint. Cookies will crack when you press—this means you did it right! Place on wire rack and let cool.
- Transfer Nutella to a piping bag fitted with a tip. Fill thumbprints with Nutella. Alternatively, you can spoon the Nutella in to the thumbprint.