Baked Carrot Cake Donuts
Baked carrot cake donuts are ready in less than 30 minutes! The cream cheese frosting pairs perfectly with the spiced cake donuts.
Carrot cake donuts with cream cheese frosting are just the treat you need this fall. The baked donuts are so fluffy and perfectly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. This has always been my favorite way to sneak veggies into my baked goods. I promise you’ll love it too!
Why this recipe works: I adapted this recipe from my carrot cake cupcakes so I know the texture and flavor are on point. The carrots are freshly grated for moisture and flavor. Also, you can make carrot cake donuts in a donut pan or a muffin tin!
How to make baked carrot cake donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray two 6-cavity donut tins with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Make the batter: Combine the brown sugar, sugar and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients, then stir in the shredded carrots (don’t over mix).
- Bake the donuts: Transfer batter to prepared donut pan. Bake donuts at 350° F for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool donuts in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the frosting: Place cream cheese in a shallow bowl and heat in the microwave on 50% power level until warm and thin enough to stir easily. Whisk in the confectioners’ sugar.
- Garnish donuts: Dip the tops of the donuts in the cream cheese frosting. Garnish with chopped pecans or walnuts.
It’s important to use freshly grated carrots when baking. Do not use pre-shredded carrots from the grocery store (peel and shred the carrots yourself). This provides extra moisture to the carrot cake donuts. I like to use the smaller side of the box grater or pulsing the carrots in the food processor.
Remember to grease the donut pan so the donuts come out easily after baking. When transferring batter to the donut pan, I suggest using a ziplock bag or frosting bag. Place the batter in the bag and cut the corner. Pipe the batter into the prepared pan—it’s so much easier than spooning the batter in.
Baked carrot cake donuts taste delicious without frosting too! You can do what I do with my pumpkin donuts and brush the donuts with butter then sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar. If you like raisins, walnuts or pecans in carrot cake, you can also add them to the donut batter. Simply mix in 1/2 cup nuts when you stir in the shredded carrots. Finally, if you want carrot cake donuts without oil, use applesauce instead (same measurement).
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can make carrot cake donuts in a muffin tin. Baking times should be similar.
Yes, once the donuts have cooled, place them in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers. Freeze for up to 1 month and defrost in the refrigerator. You can freeze frosted donuts, but I prefer to frost them after defrosting for a fresh appearance.
Store cake donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for 5 days.
I love baking cake donuts at home. My favorites for fall are these baked apple cider donuts and baked pumpkin donuts. They have all the traditional fall spices! If you’re looking for more way to incorporate carrots into baking, I suggest trying these easy carrot zucchini muffins that are ready in under 30 minutes. For something a little more decadent, this layered carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is a must.
These are the best carrot cake donuts. They are soft, sweet and perfectly spiced. I suggest trying this recipe for fall or when Easter rolls around. Your kids will never know they are eating veggies! If you try this recipe, tap the stars to leave a review and tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media when you bake!
Get the Recipe: Baked Carrot Cake Donuts
Carrot Cake Donuts
- 1 ¼ cup (156 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups (140 g) shredded carrots
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50 g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (124 ml) vegetable oil
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup (4 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup (30 g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Chopped pecans for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray two 6-cavity donut tins with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk vigorously the granulated sugar, brown sugar and vegetable oil until well combined, about 1 minute. Add eggs and vanilla, and whisk again until incorporated, about 1 more minute. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Fold in the shredded carrots with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Transfer the batter to a frosting bag or ziplock bag with a corner cut open. Fill each donut cavity about three-quarters full. Bake donuts at 350° F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with little to no crumbs. Cool donuts in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the cream cheese frosting, place cream cheese in a shallow bowl and heat in the microwave on 50% power level stopping to stir every 10 seconds until warm and thin enough to stir easily. Whisk in the confectioners’ sugar.
- Dip the top of each donut in the glaze. Garnish with chopped pecans or walnuts.