Christmas M&M cookies are a classic holiday dessert perfect for gifting. This simple cookie recipe is loaded with red and green M&M candies!
‘Tis the season of giving! I absolutely love giving baked goods this time of year. As my giving list grows, I need a simple recipe that makes a lot of cookies. These Christmas M&M cookies are just the trick!
Christmas M&M cookies are soft, chewy cookies packed with red and green M&M candies. It’s a simple recipe that doubles (and triples) quite easily!
I used my chocolate chip cookie recipe and swapped the chocolate chips for M&M’s. People are always begging me for my chocolate chip cookies so I figured putting a holiday spin on the recipe would be fun!
Who else loves the look on someone’s face when you give them a gift? It puts a smile on my face to see my friends so happy. Hence, why I love baking and sharing my baked goods.
This thinking also explains why I love Christmas. It’s the season of baking and the season of giving! My kitchen becomes stacked with cookie tins and trays ready to go as I visit friends and family.
Cookies aren’t the only thing you can give this year. I chose to give back to a charity this year, Cookies for Kid’s Cancer. The non-profit organization was founded by a mom whose 2-year-old son battled cancer.
She and her husband pledged to support the funding of research for safer, more effective treatments for children battling cancer. To kickstart the funding, she and 250 volunteers baked and sold 96,000 cookies, raising more than $400,000 for research.
Now if that’s not a reason to bake cookies, I don’t know what is!
This holiday season I encourage you to give cookies not only to your family and friends, but also those outside your circle of loved ones!
If you’d like to donate to Cookies for Kid’s Cancer, click here. I personally love the idea of hosting a holiday bake sale to raise money for the charity!
Christmas M&M Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups (280 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170 g or 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup M&M's
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat on medium speed the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Beat until combined, 20 to 30 seconds.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the dough. Careful not to over beat. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in the M&M's by hand.
- Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.1
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the chilled cookie dough, shape into a ball, and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat placing each ball of cookie dough about 1- to 2-inches apart.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until the edges start to turn brown. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.2
- Keep dough chilled between batches while baking. Cold cookie dough helps keep the cookies chewy and thick.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Cookie dough may be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Defrost in the refrigerator before baking.
Photos and recipe were updated November 2018.
Like Christmas M&M Cookies? Try these recipes…