Flourless Chocolate Cake
This easy flourless chocolate cake recipe is perfect for Valentine’s Day. The gluten free cake is thick, decadent and tastes delicious with fresh strawberries.
Happy Valentine’s Day all! I have the perfect chocolate dessert for you and your sweetheart to enjoy. Thick, decadent and oh-so-chocolatey, flourless chocolate cake satisfies your sweet tooth. This dessert works for a romantic date night or for girls night (think The Bachelor). I love serving the cake with fresh strawberries for garnish and color.
What is flourless chocolate cake made of?
Flourless chocolate cake is made of the following ingredients:
- Semisweet chocolate – Semisweet will ensure the cake is not too sweet. You can use chocolate chips or baking chocolate (just chop it into even pieces before melting)
- Unsalted butter – Cut into 1/2-inch pieces so the butter melts evenly with the chocolate.
- Granulated sugar – This will sweeten up the cake and dissolve slightly in the warm melted chocolate mixture.
- Vanilla extract – Use pure vanilla extract for the most flavor. This is the kind I use.
- Large eggs – Bring the eggs to room temperature and whisk slightly so they mix evenly into the batter.
- Cocoa powder – Unsweetened cocoa powder will serve as the dry ingredient in this recipe. Be sure to use unsweetened so your cake isn’t too sweet!
- Espresso powder (optional) – While this is an optional ingredient, I recommend it because just 1/2 a teaspoon will enhance this chocolate flavor without making the cake taste like coffee.
How to make flourless chocolate cake
Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper, then spray the bottom and sides with nonstick spray. Preheat the oven to 375 F and prepare the cake batter.
Melt the chocolate chips and butter in the microwave for 45 seconds and stir until butter is melted into the chocolate chips. Add the sugar, vanilla and salt, then stir until sugar is mostly absorbed. Finally mix in the eggs until incorporated. Finally add the cocoa powdered and espresso for the ultimate chocolate flavor. Bake for 25 minutes.
Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a butter knife around the edges and undo the sides of the pan. Turn the cake upside down on a serving plate and remove the bottom piece of the springform pan. Peel away the parchment paper so the bottom of the cake is smooth. It will now serve as the top of the cake!
What to serve with flourless chocolate cake
There are plenty of options of what to serve with this chocolate cake. My recommendations are fresh fruit such as strawberries or raspberries, vanilla ice cream, homemade whipped cream or chocolate syrup.
Making a cake for two? Try these mini flourless chocolate cakes.
Can you freeze flourless chocolate cake?
Yes. Let the cake cool completely and remove it from the pan. Keep the parchment paper on the bottom. Wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap and then wrap it in aluminum foil. Place on a flat surface in the freezer and store for up to 3 months.
Is flourless chocolate cake gluten free?
Yes, flourless chocolate cake is gluten free since there is no flour or wheat ingredients in the recipe. Always check your ingredients for gluten warnings.
Enjoy this chocolate cake recipe for Valentine’s Day or anytime you’re craving chocolate. It is incredibly delicious and perfect for any occasion! Who would you make this dessert for?
Get the Recipe: Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup (175 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten and room temperature
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder, (optional)
- Preheat oven 375° F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease with nonstick cooking spray (the sides of the pan too!) Set aside.¹
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips in the microwave for 45 seconds. Stir the mixture until the chocolate chips are completely melted. If necessary, place bowl back in the microwave for another 10 seconds.²
- Add sugar, vanilla and salt. Stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until combined, about 20 seconds. Add eggs and stir until incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Carefully add the cocoa powder and espresso powder (if desired). Stir just until combined, careful not to overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edges of the pans and turn cake upside down on a plate. The bottom of the cake will be nice and smooth, and is now the top of the cake. Serve warm or at room temp with fresh fruit, powdered sugar or ice cream.
- 9-inch springform pan: This pan has removable sides, which also works well for cheesecake.
- Kitchen scale: Weighing your ingredients is much more accurate than measuring with a cup.
- Sifter: This handy gadget will remove any clumps so the dry ingredient mix well into the wet ingredients. If you don’t have a sifter, a mesh strainer will work well too.
Photos by Our Salty Kitchen