Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Banana chocolate chip muffins are healthy and made with no butter or sugar. Use yogurt and honey along with ripe bananas for this healthy breakfast treat.
I’m adding to my repertoire of lighter baking recipes today with healthy banana chocolate chip muffins. You will find no butter or added sugar in these muffins, but they still taste pretty darn good!
Honestly, I probably owe it to the bananas that made these muffins taste so good. The recipe calls for three bananas, which divided among 12 muffins is a generous amount. That and a few chocolate chips sprinkled in have me reaching for a muffin every morning!
Healthy banana chocolate chip muffin ingredients
The ingredients for these muffins are likely already in your kitchen! Here’s what you need…
- All purpose flour (gluten-free oat flour may be substituted)
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon (optional) – this adds a nice, subtle flavor
- Ripe bananas – the browner, the better. They add lots of flavor and natural sweetness
- Honey – another natural sweetener for these muffins
- Plain Greek yogurt – acts as the fat instead of butter or oil
- Egg – binds the ingredients together
- Coconut oil – adds a healthy fat to the mix
- Vanilla extract
- Milk (almond milk may be substituted)
- Chocolate chips
How to make banana chocolate chip muffins
This recipe couldn’t be simpler. Here is goes…
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together: Flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat wet ingredients together: mashed bananas, honey, yogurt, egg, coconut oil, vanilla and milk.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to muffin tin. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
How many calories in banana chocolate chip muffins
There are 167 calories in one of these healthy banana chocolate chip muffins. The fat content and sugar content is lower than normal thanks to the healthier ingredients. Any substitutions may alter the nutrition facts.
How to store banana chocolate chip muffins
Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Muffins are best when eaten within one to two days.
Can you freeze banana chocolate chip muffins
Yes, place muffins in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers. Store in the freezer for up to 1 month. Defrost muffins in the refrigerator before bringing to room temperature or reheating in the toaster oven.
Recipes with overripe bananas
If you have a lot of overripe bananas in your house, I have a few recipes for you to try out.
- Chocolate chip banana bread
- Banana oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips
- Banana cinnamon muffins
- Brown butter banana donuts
- Banana cupcakes – Cupcake Project blog
- Banana pancakes – Love and Lemons blog
I love reheating these muffins in the toaster oven. They are warm and the chocolate chips are nice and melted. It’s just what I need when I’m running out the door in the morning.
If you try this recipe, please tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media so I can see you creation!
Get the Recipe: Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 ½ cups (186 g) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 3 ripe bananas, about 1 1/2 cups mashed
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil,, melted
- 1 large egg,, room temperature
- ½ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt,, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk,, room temperature
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the bananas, honey, vanilla, oil, egg, milk and yogurt on medium-high for 1-2 minutes or until well combined, smooth and creamy. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix until just combined, about 15 seconds. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly into the muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Cool muffins for 5 minutes then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Muffins are best served warm, but can be stored in an airtight container for 3 to 5 days.
- Oat flour or whole wheat may be substituted for all purpose flour.
- Almond milk may be substituted for dairy milk.
Inspired by Ambitious Kitchen’s Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins