This chocolate chip banana bread recipe is easy to follow and makes the best bread! Each slice is packed with banana flavor and melted chocolate chips.
Calling all banana bread lovers! I packed a loaf with chocolate chips and each slice is absolutely heavenly. This chocolate chip banana bread recipe is easy to follow and makes the best bread. I don’t know why I haven’t made this sooner. I usually go right for my usual banana bread recipe and I’m perfectly content. However, sometimes I need a little kick of chocolate in my breakfast snack.
How to make chocolate chip banana bread
Chocolate chip banana bread is literally banana bread with chocolate chips. I used my go-to banana bread recipe, which is moist and loaded with overripe bananas.
Simply whisk the dry ingredients together in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. Combine both bowls and stir just until incorporated (avoid over mixing). Then, stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
I like to sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top for show. The bread bakes for a little under an hour. Cut and serve when it is mostly cooled. I find it tastes even better the next day and warmed up in the toaster!
How ripe should bananas be for banana bread
The secret to any good banana bread (chocolate chip included) is overripe bananas. So what qualifies a banana to be overripe?
Technically any banana that starts showing brown spots is overripe, however, I suggest using bananas that are entirely brown. Yup, bananas with a dark brown peel. I will buy a bunch of bananas, put them in a brown paper bag and let them sit for a week or two until they are brown.
Overripe bananas are extra sweet and soft, which enhances the banana flavor and moist texture in the bread, respectively. Very ripe bananas are also easier to mash!
How much chocolate chips to add to banana bread
One cup of semisweet chocolate chips can be added to banana bread. If you like more chocolate, I suggest sprinkling some chocolate chips on top. It makes the banana bread aesthetically pleasing.
How to keep chocolate chips from sinking in banana bread
This solution is simple. Toss the chocolate chips in some flour before adding them to the batter. Avoid over-mixing the chocolate chips into the batter. This trick also works for nuts, if you choose to add those to your bread as well.
Recipes similar to chocolate chip banana bread
If you like this chocolate chip banana bread recipe, try these similar recipes…
- Chocolate Zucchini Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Best Banana Bread Ever
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Chocolate Covered Banana Popsicles
Enjoy this chocolate banana bread recipe with friends and family. Any banana bread lover will adore this sweet treat especially if they are a chocolate lover too! If you try one of my recipes, be sure to tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media so I can see your creations!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large, very ripe brown bananas mashed (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup (150 g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350º F. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, lightly grease with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a whisk and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer for 90 seconds until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Pour the mashed bananas into the butter mixture and beat until well combined, about 90 seconds.
- Add flour mixture to the batter and mix just until the flour is incorporated, taking care not to overwork the batter. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few dry crumbs (try to find a spot without chocolate).
- Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove the bread and cool completely on a wire rack.