Moist Banana Bread Recipe
Moist banana bread is made with ripe bananas and melted butter for the best taste and texture. Each slice has a tender crumb and plenty of banana flavor.
Here comes a baking classic—banana bread. This recipe has been a go-to of mine for years and for good reason. Without fail this banana bread turns out moist and tender. It has a pillow-like texture and the banana flavor is spread throughout.
There are a few key ingredients that make this banana bread the best. Ripe bananas are obviously a must. I use at least four bananas with dark brown peels. Melted butter makes a rich, flavorful bread and brown sugar adds sweetness.
How to make moist banana bread
To make banana bread you will need flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and ripe bananas.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Grease with nonstick spray.
- Whisk dry ingredients together. Dry ingredients include flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat brown sugar and butter. Use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer to beat brown sugar and butter until light in color and combined, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until incorporated and scrape down sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Mix in the mashed bananas. Mixture will be liquid-y. Mix just until combined.
- Stir in dry ingredients. Do this by hand to avoid over-mixing the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350° F. Banana bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with little to no crumbs.
Tips for making banana bread
How to make banana bread moist: Banana bread is made moist with ripe bananas. Ripe bananas have more liquid in them and are softer. As a result, they add moisture to banana bread. Four to five medium bananas provide plenty of flavor and moisture in bread.
How ripe should bananas be for banana bread: The banana peel should be mostly, if not all brown, for banana bread. The riper the banana is, the more flavor and moisture it will add to the bread.
Storing banana bread
Banana bread should be stored covered or in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days. Covering the bread tightly so no air gets in keeps the banana bread moist longer.
- Does banana bread need to be refrigerated? No, banana bread does not need to be refrigerated. However, keeping the bread in the refrigerator can help it last longer (up to a week).
- Can you freeze banana bread? Yes, banana bread can be frozen if wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then tin foil. Freeze the bread for up to a month. Defrost in the refrigerator before bringing to room temperature and serving.
- How long does banana bread last? Banana bread lasts at room temperature for up to five days if tightly wrapped or stored in an airtight container.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How to ripen bananas for banana bread: Preheat oven to 300 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and bake the bananas with the peel for 15 to 20 minutes or until the peel is black. Cool completely and use in recipe.
- How long do you bake banana bread? 55 to 65 minutes at 350 F.
- How to tell if banana bread is done: Banana bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with little crumbs on it. You can also tell if you lightly press your finger in the center of the bread and the bread bounces back slightly. The bread should feel soft, not too dense.
- Can you make banana bread with frozen bananas? Yes. Freeze overripe bananas in the peel and when you are ready to use them in your recipe, place them in a bowl at room temperature to defrost. Peel the bananas. They will be extra mushy and even syrupy. They are good to use for banana bread—my mom uses frozen bananas all the time.
Recipes that use ripe bananas
Do you have a bunch of ripe bananas in your kitchen? Consider making these recipes…
- Chocolate chip banana bread
- Banana chocolate chip muffins
- Chocolate zucchini banana bread
- Banana cinnamon muffins
- Blueberry banana muffins
Enjoy this banana bread recipe! If you try this recipe be sure to tag @ifyougiveablondeakitchen on social media so I can see your creations.
Get the Recipe: Moist Banana Bread Recipe
- 4 large, very ripe, brown bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup (113 g or 1 stick) unsalted butter,, melted
- ¾ cup (150 g) packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs,, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (60 g) chopped walnuts or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350º F. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, lightly grease with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until combined and light in color Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until well combined, about 30 seconds.
- Pour the mashed bananas into the butter mixture and beat until well combined, about 90 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add flour mixture to the batter and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula just until the flour is incorporated, taking care not to overwork the batter. Stir in the walnuts or chocolate chips if using.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few dry crumbs.
- Cool the bread in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove the bread and cool completely on a wire rack.