Hummingbird Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Hummingbird cake is a flavorful cake made with bananas, pineapple, pecans and cinnamon. It’s topped with cream cheese frosting.
Fall is a wonderful time of year. The air is crisp, the colors are beautiful, and there are lots of reasons to bake! Not only are there plenty of holidays, but there are also a lot of birthdays. My sister’s birthday was in September for which I whipped up my vanilla cake with buttercream, but added a lemon curd filling for some excitement. My dad’s birthday follows in October and I was eager to try something even more adventurous.
Step by step instructions
- Whisk together dry ingredients—flour, sugar baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add eggs and vegetable oil. Mix until combined, but do not beat.
- Add pineapple, bananas and pecans. Mix until incorporated. Transfer batter to two well-greased 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with little to no crumbs.
- Make cream cheese frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter together until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar , vanilla and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- Frost the cake. Use an offset spatula to spread frosting on one of the round cakes. Place other cake on top and spread frosting on top and around the edges of the cake. Garnish with chopped pecans if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is it called hummingbird cake? Depends who you ask, but I heard it’s called hummingbird cake because the cake originated in Jamaica where the hummingbird is the national bird.
Does hummingbird cake need to be refrigerated? If you are keeping the cake for more than a few hours, put it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh longer. The cake is okay for a few hours at room temperature if serving at a party.
Can you freeze hummingbird cake? Yes, unfrosted cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 3 months. Frosted cake (slices or whole cake) should be put in the freezer for 2 hours to set, then wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost cake in the refrigerator.
Do you love the flavors in hummingbird cake? You can make them as hummingbird cupcakes too and have them as bite-sized versions of this cake. If you prefer cookies, try these hummingbird oatmeal cookies from Bake or Break blog. This quick banana pineapple bread from Immaculate Bites blog provides the same flavor as well!
Sure enough the cake was a turned out moist and flavorful and it was a big hit for everyone at the table! Try it yourself next time you’re thinking of trying something new. Warning: It’s hard to resist a second slice!
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs,, beaten
- 1 cup (236 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (225 g or 8 oz can) crushed pineapple, , undrained
- 1 cup (125 g) chopped pecans
- 2 ¼ cups chopped bananas, (about 4 medium bananas)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup (225 g or 8 oz) cream cheese,, room temperature
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter,, room temperature
- 3 cups (360 g) confectioners' sugar,, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- ½ cup (62 g) chopped pecans, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans (or use my magic cake pan release).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Stir until the ingredients are moistened. Do not beat.
- Add the pineapple, bananas and pecans. Stir until incorporated.
- Pour batter into two greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. With the mixer on low, gradually add powdered sugar on low speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Store in refrigerator.
Southern Living recipe | Photography by Our Salty Kitchen